Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

do ET streets "grow" at speed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do ET streets "grow" at speed?

If they do, how much. Reason I ask is I have 27"x10.5 MT ET's on my car and only have about 1/2" gap between the ground effects(fender) and the tire.

Also, the car shuddered pretty hard sometimes when cruising, kind of like wheel hop whould do, but during steady cruising. So I softened the rebound of my shocks and it pretty much went away. What exactly causes this, is it the rear being raised 1 1/4" or what?
Thanks,
Kyle
Old 11-30-2004, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

My ET streets grew about 1-2" while on the dyno but have no clue as to why it does that.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1" to 2", really? ****.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Yes they will grow. Only 1/2 inch I would think you will rub. The shuttering? I dont know are they balanced? OR are they used? Meaning could they have been sitting for a while and still have a flat spot? Soft tires will flat spot easy just sitting for a period of time or sitting on a car overnight even. That is why you see all the cars with slicks that sit at the big tracks over the weekend have the rear end jacked up off the ground. The flat spot would shutter for sure. Most of the time the flat spot will go away after a little driving. Unless they sat for a while.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I watched them being balanced and they are brand new. I don't see any signs of rubbing yet ie. scuff marks. I took tires off a wrecked truck that had been sitting for years and put them on my K10, it felt the same.
hmmm...come to think of it, I don't remember it shuddering the day I drove them home. I'll jack up the rear overnight and see if that's it. Thanks Tim, I didn't know they could flatten that quick.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Yea if they sit overnight and you fire it up and take off they will hump, hump, hump down the road. No permanent dammage or anything unless you leave it like that for extended periods of time. Just guys at the track dont have the ability to put some miles on then to get the flat spot out before they have to race.
They will swell more if they are low on air. Like at the track with low pressure for hooking up.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, good info in this thread. Especially for lowered cars.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ran it hard up to 120mph and still didn't notice any signs of rubbing. I'm running them 27psi right now, but I'll remember at the track when I drop the psi. Looks like my car will be sleeping with it's *** in the air from now on...solved that problem.
Thanks again for the replies
Old 12-01-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Glad it worked for you. And surprised you didnt rub! Good on ya. Just watch them at the track if you let air out and you should be good to go...