Sponsored by:

Calling Out Jrp!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 12:04 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking Calling Out Jrp!!!!!

how bout a rear end write up??

reluctor rings? 2 series vs. 3 series? c-clip vs. c-clip eliminators?

different kinds of posi? limited slip? lockers? spools? lubes for different posi's?

pics?

i havent opened up a rear end and snooped around too much, or looked at descriptive pics of the internals of them.

p.s. - is a spool called a spool because it looks like a spool of thread w/ no moving parts?
Old 12-03-2004, 01:17 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i dont know **** about rear ends . if someone wants to give me the info i'll see about putting something together.

all i know is: a shitload of power + 10 bolt = boom bitch.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:35 AM
That's what she said...

dammit!!

thats about the extent of my rear-end knowledge too!!
Old 12-03-2004, 06:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp
i dont know **** about rear ends . if someone wants to give me the info i'll see about putting something together.

all i know is: a shitload of power + 10 bolt = boom bitch.

What are you going to run with your new set up? I just got my motor back ing and am tyring to figure out what rearend to go with as well. Would be good to get someone to post a decent write up on them.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
how bout a rear end write up??

reluctor rings? 2 series vs. 3 series? c-clip vs. c-clip eliminators?

different kinds of posi? limited slip? lockers? spools? lubes for different posi's?

pics?

i havent opened up a rear end and snooped around too much, or looked at descriptive pics of the internals of them.

p.s. - is a spool called a spool because it looks like a spool of thread w/ no moving parts?
I have had mine apart 3 times and did a **** load of research before attempting it myself. I dont think I would be the best person to do a write up but if you have some specific questions you would like to know I could probably help you.

I read that it is called that because it acts a spool during acceleration.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:23 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I could offer some of this info, but I'd have to take an evening to write it up. Shortly I'll have a night free to do so if people are still interested.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

I would definitely like to see a solid write up concerning rear ends.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:17 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
I read that it is called that because it acts a spool during acceleration.
i thought it had no mechanical parts, and simply connected the two axles together
Old 12-04-2004, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

i thought it had no mechanical parts, and simply connected the two axles together
haha that why i said that i read it. I still dont understand but thats what i read about it on a website selling them.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:57 PM
That's what she said...

in ignorance is spreading!!!!

SOMEONE STOP THE OUTBREAK!
Old 12-05-2004, 12:10 AM
11 Second Club

in ignorance is spreading!!!!

SOMEONE STOP THE OUTBREAK!
I am just commenting no need to be an ******* about things.

Unless of course your talking about the guy who wrote it. There was suppose to be a ? after the comment tho.

Last edited by Tiger2o69; 12-05-2004 at 12:19 AM.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:18 AM
11 Second Club

it would be a 12 page paper.. jrp shoot me a pm though i have some pics if i can find them of both 10 and 12 bolts in working form and broken and a complete removal and installation of gears and a complete rear
Old 12-05-2004, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

A spool has no differential functionality. It connects the two axles together via their splines.
Im no expert on rears but I have dont quite a few in my day. Here is a decent link that will give you some info on what it takes to set up a rearend. http://www.drivetrain.com/ringpinioninstal.html

Cheers,
Old 12-05-2004, 12:34 AM
11 Second Club

I read that it is called that because it acts a spool during acceleration?

Someone read it wrong. This is how I meant it.

This is what I read rather quickly and kinda missed something. I was confused that it said that and was asking. But is was talkiing about a diff.

Spool

"A common question is "What is the best thing to have in the rear end?". In most cases it is hard to beat a spool. A spool is the lightest, least expensive and consistent. The disadvantage of a spool is that it requires the correct stagger and someone capable of keeping it within 1/4". If your tire selection or ability prevents this, then you need a differential. There are dozens on the market and a new one each year. None of them are smart; they do not sense which wheel has the most traction and will not entirely eliminate the influence of stagger. With the exception of a Detroit Locker, they are simply a series of gears that lock together between torque and resistance. They act as a spool under acceleration. We have not tried them all, but we have weeded out many for you. You must choose which one best suits you."

I also know what it is.

Old 12-05-2004, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

If your going to drive your car on teh street I wouldnt get a spool! SOme say its streetalbe once you get used to it but I dont think I could ever get used to my car hopping around a corner and the tires squealing.

A spool is unbeatable at teh track ofcourse but its not friendly to a steet car. IMHO.

I had a 73 split bumper Z28 that I built with over 500rwhp N/A and it "had" a spool in it untill I got sick of it and went with a 12 bold strange w / 3.90's

If you wnat a streetable car that has a strong rear but is still "weitht aware" then call strange and get there drilled axles in their 12 bolt. Its an expensive setup but if you have the $ its worth it.

I also hear of a few places that will retro a ford 8.5 for an F-body. THat is a pretty cool trade off for weight and strength for a street car but if its going to see the track alot just get the 12bolt.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:01 PM
11 Second Club

Have you guys heard of the electric locker/diffrential? With the push of a button is suppose to lock. I saw it on hp tv, do they have that for our cars and is it good?
Old 12-05-2004, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

Have you guys heard of the electric locker/diffrential? With the push of a button is suppose to lock. I saw it on hp tv, do they have that for our cars and is it good?

I think what you are talking about is an ARB AIRLOCKER. They are mainly besigned for 4x4 trucks but alot of people do use them for racing. If I remember corectly they are kind of expensive. I just looked at their website and I don't see one for the 7.5, but they do have them for 12 bolts and 9" though. I guess they figure that the 10 bolt is to weak to spend that much money on it.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I've gathered so far is that people are confused on what the components of the rear-end are.
So the Sticky could be the pro's and con's of the 4 types of rear-ends out there for us: GM 10 bolt (7.5" and 8.5"), GM 12 bolt (8.875"), Ford 9", Ford 8.8".
Then it could go into the defferent types of center sections available (spools, Detroit lockers, Posi's(clutch and gear driven).
Reluctor rings are used for TC, and ABS.
Axle spline counts and what that means.
C-clip and C-clip eliminations.
Tooth patterns.
And the different Yoke styles

blacktransam shoot me a PM if you want some help.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:14 AM
That's what she said...

I am just commenting no need to be an ******* about things.

Unless of course your talking about the guy who wrote it. There was suppose to be a ? after the comment tho.
easy turbo! i was being sarcastic, i'm speaking totally out of speculation when i say "it looks like a spool". i dont know **** about some things (i.e. - rear ends lol) and i am not afraid to admit it.

i believe that passage at the end was talking about the detroit locker, saying it allows for stagger and independent tire movement, yet under acceleration, it (the detroit locker) acts as a spool by locking the axles together.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

easy turbo! i was being sarcastic, i'm speaking totally out of speculation when i say "it looks like a spool". i dont know **** about some things (i.e. - rear ends lol) and i am not afraid to admit it.

i believe that passage at the end was talking about the detroit locker, saying it allows for stagger and independent tire movement, yet under acceleration, it (the detroit locker) acts as a spool by locking the axles together.
Sorry,
Just a little bombarded with all kinds of finals here and im a little tense. lol

Yeah I noticed that after I looked back. I dont know much about any rear end except mine. Hell I probably dont even know the correct terms for half them but Iv taked it aparter several times so I can do that much