Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Obnoxious Grinding Sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Obnoxious Grinding Sound

Last week I had my new magnaflow cat back system installed and everything went well until a couple days ago. The system was installed by a local muffler shop and it sounded awesome, except for the other day when I drove it around whenever i got on the throttle it sounded like all hell was breaking loose in my rearend. I'm suspicious that the u-band clamps are hitting the driveshaft and I want that to be the problem and not something bigger. If anyone has any suggestions on what else it may be, or how to fix this problem please let me know. Also, am I the only one with this problem? '00 Camaro SS M6.

*If I got rid of the cats, can I just install a y-pipe in their place or what do I have to do*
Old 12-08-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, depends on where you are hearing the grinding, but check the u-clamp where it the cat-back connects to the y-pipe, and check for clearence where it goes over the axle.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:50 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

might wanna replace the u-bend clamps with some band clamps

edit: one of our sponsers sells a kit that bolts directly in place of the cats with just straight tubing. it goes from your manifolds to your y-pipe.