Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need head porting answers!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need head porting answers!

I was wondering if it is OK to remove the bulge-- or thats what it seems to be in the top of the stock castings? I figured it is just some added material for a rocker stud, or valve cover bolt whole. But I was wondering how easy is it to grind into the threads of the whole? I was just gunna play around with my stock heads a bit and see what I can get on the ole bench.

Josh S.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Resident

pics or ban which bulge?
Old 12-10-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

If you are talkin about the "ramp" in the intake runner then yes you can take it out but be careful because some have broke through into the water jacket. Just do like me and knock it down far enough to be able to blend it into the rest of the port. It is originaly there for low speed tumble. Search button, like jrp says, search button- many write ups on this site about it.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

the thing I'm talkin about is at the top of each port.... I assume we are talking about it.

Yanno I would agree on the search thing....... but I have looked before and didn't find exactly what i was looking for
Old 12-11-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

btw I'm not trying to compete with other porters I'm just seeing what kind of number a stock head will flow with a good touch up job and stuff. I will probably never even use these heads again im just looking to mess around a bit.

Josh S.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Default intake runner bulge

in the intake runner at the top is a bulge and under that bulge is where the rocker arm rail bolts down into the intake runner. smooth it down to the contour of the runner wall, there will be a small hole afterwards, not a big flow stopper. if you are using a deburring bit it may start jumping around and kicking back on you if you die grinder speed is low. after you remove it come back with a 80 grit conical sand roller on a 4 inch mandrel and smooth it out. should be fairly easy.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks dude!