Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Octane level question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Octane level question

Just wondering what the highest compression ratio with say 94 octane and octane boost anyone has run or you guys think is safe to run?

I was thinking in the 12.5 to maybe even 13:1.

Thanks,

Roman
Old 12-12-2004, 04:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too many variables in just raising the CR without taking into consideration cam timing/overlap.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just as Plan B said...Cam cam cam...Dynamic compression is the determining factor. A 9:1 DCR is about as high as I'd shoot for. If you have or can get your cam specs including the intake valve closing point, I can send you static figures to shop around for to reach a certain DCR.
What you could do, is start a new thread asking how much dynamic compression ratio you can run with 94 octane. Once you have that info., you can shop cams and other compression modifying details, knowing what you'll end up with before you even start.

.....that way, you can stick with Plan A, instead of having to resort to a Plan B when you end up with a 15:1 dynamic.

I know...it was funnier in thought

EDIT: My little SR monster was just upped to 12.5:1 static for use with 93 pump gas. But, my cam has enough overlap to get the dynamic down to just over 9:1

Last edited by NoseUp; 12-12-2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoseUp
Just as Plan B said...Cam cam cam...Dynamic compression is the determining factor. A 9:1 DCR is about as high as I'd shoot for. If you have or can get your cam specs including the intake valve closing point, I can send you static figures to shop around for to reach a certain DCR.
What you could do, is start a new thread asking how much dynamic compression ratio you can run with 94 octane. Once you have that info., you can shop cams and other compression modifying details, knowing what you'll end up with before you even start.

.....that way, you can stick with Plan A, instead of having to resort to a Plan B when you end up with a 15:1 dynamic.

I know...it was funnier in thought

EDIT: My little SR monster was just upped to 12.5:1 static for use with 93 pump gas. But, my cam has enough overlap to get the dynamic down to just over 9:1
Thanks for the info.

Now, if I find my cam card and find out my intake valve closing point. How do I figure out my DCR from that?

Thanks alot for the reply.

Roman
Old 12-12-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This calculator showed to be most accurate through my last few configurations:

http://www.kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp

It should help