Sponsored by:

Stalling and ticking???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling and ticking???

Hey guys,
A friend of mines LS1 has a strange problem. It seems to stall out unless you give it lots of gas when putting it into first. This problem only seems to last a couple of minutes after the car is started up. Also we just noticed a rapid ticking noise coming from the intake manifold area. My guess was perhaps a bad injector or maybe the air system since he installed SLP long tubes and kept the emissions but didnt make the adapter plates. My only other guess was perhaps an arcing plug wire. Anyone have a clue... im pretty much clueless.

Thanks in advance,

Ben
Old 12-13-2004, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bengeeee
Hey guys,
A friend of mines LS1 has a strange problem. It seems to stall out unless you give it lots of gas when putting it into first. This problem only seems to last a couple of minutes after the car is started up. Also we just noticed a rapid ticking noise coming from the intake manifold area. My guess was perhaps a bad injector or maybe the air system since he installed SLP long tubes and kept the emissions but didnt make the adapter plates. My only other guess was perhaps an arcing plug wire. Anyone have a clue... im pretty much clueless.

Thanks in advance,

Ben
Please someone help )=
Old 12-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Please someone help )=
Please HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP )=
Old 12-16-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First thing I'd check is a large vacuum leak. Not sure about the ticking noise. Maybe a collapsed lifter? Good luck.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

I noticed the ticking coming from some sort of sensor or solenoid that is connected to the fuel line, some sort of blue and red clip electrical connection, and another connection going towards the maf. Does anyone know what this part is? The part says dephi 1997251 on it. Please help guys. Were lost.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 12-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

I noticed the ticking coming from some sort of sensor or solenoid that is connected to the fuel line, some sort of blue and red clip electrical connection, and another connection going towards the maf. Does anyone know what this part is? The part says dephi 1997251 on it. Please help guys. Were lost.

Thanks,

Ben
also... it doesnt start ticking till a minute or so after the car is started. And right before it starts ticking the motor seems to misfire a bit. Like u can feel it shaking slightly. Then about 30 seconds later it starts to tick and continues the shaking. Anyone have a clue?

Thanks,

Ben
Old 12-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

also... it doesnt start ticking till a minute or so after the car is started. And right before it starts ticking the motor seems to misfire a bit. Like u can feel it shaking slightly. Then about 30 seconds later it starts to tick and continues the shaking. Anyone have a clue?

Thanks,

Ben
anyone?
Old 12-16-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure the air tube that goes down into the header is not broken. my friend's car had a crazy loud tick, just like yours, and ran crappy just like you said. that was it. the metal tube was broken off the flange. i'd definitley check both AIR fittings for breakage/tightness.

if it is broken bad like my friend's was, you could actually feel some exhaust making its way past. btw, don't stick your head under the hood too long w/ an exhaust leak, you'll get dizzy or pass out, lol
Old 12-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Grimes
make sure the air tube that goes down into the header is not broken. my friend's car had a crazy loud tick, just like yours, and ran crappy just like you said. that was it. the metal tube was broken off the flange. i'd definitley check both AIR fittings for breakage/tightness.

if it is broken bad like my friend's was, you could actually feel some exhaust making its way past. btw, don't stick your head under the hood too long w/ an exhaust leak, you'll get dizzy or pass out, lol
thanks so much man. I'll check for that. No one else has really been helping me much. I do appreciate u taking the time.

Later,

Ben
Old 12-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

anyone know what that part is and why it might be ticking?
Old 12-17-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint the location of a sound. You might want to get a mechanic's stethoscope. They're pretty cheap at auto parts stores. Touch the probe onto the injectors and other parts until you find where it's loudest.

A problem with the AIR system leaking would probably be more constant and not have such a dramatic effect on driveability.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

anyone know what that part is and why it might be ticking?

It's the tube and assembly that bolts down onto the top of the "log" part of the exhaust manifold (well, he has headers now). my friends was broken, so the exhuast getting by the little break made a horrible ticking sound. it also ran like crap too. Sounds a lot like yours problem.

I have included a picture of the passenger side air tube. check the red circled areas for leaks/ticking. if they are leaking, you can feel them.

***also check the drivers side tube as well****

good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Stalling and ticking???-airstuff.jpg  
Old 12-17-2004, 11:49 PM
Staging Lane

It's the tube and assembly that bolts down onto the top of the "log" part of the exhaust manifold (well, he has headers now). my friends was broken, so the exhuast getting by the little break made a horrible ticking sound. it also ran like crap too. Sounds a lot like yours problem.

I have included a picture of the passenger side air tube. check the red circled areas for leaks/ticking. if they are leaking, you can feel them.

***also check the drivers side tube as well****

good luck!
thanks. I checked that but it doesnt seem to be the problem. The part i was asking about is like one the other side of the intake manifold. The one i described before. Thanks so much tho i appreciate it. I guess i wasnt clear.

Ben
Old 12-18-2004, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

ben, i think that is the solenoid for the evaporative emissions canister (to purge gasoline vapor at certain times. i have a parts manual here, and i have a number:

1997278 for 01-02 ls1 engines. i've enclosed some pics
it is number (559) in the black and white pic

it would def cause stuff to run badly if it was clicking on and off. i dunno if you can unplug it without throwing a code. give it a try!
Attached Thumbnails Stalling and ticking???-evapsoleniod.jpg   Stalling and ticking???-0102manifold.jpg  
Old 12-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

ben, i think that is the solenoid for the evaporative emissions canister (to purge gasoline vapor at certain times. i have a parts manual here, and i have a number:

1997278 for 01-02 ls1 engines. i've enclosed some pics
it is number (559) in the black and white pic

it would def cause stuff to run badly if it was clicking on and off. i dunno if you can unplug it without throwing a code. give it a try!
yep thats it exactly thanks so much. It looks exactly the same even though its for an 01. I guess i will try and replace that part and see if it solves the problem. Any idea of what might cause it to do that besides it being bad or do you think its just bad?

Thanks so much man you have been a huge support,

Ben
Old 12-18-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

sure man, np, glad i could help. i tried looking in the pars manual for different years other than 01/02, but it still does not match the # you have. I really don't think they changed though. dunno why it could have gone bad. just luck i guess? lol.

well, good luck, tell me how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Stalling and ticking???