PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Tuning advise! Important, please read!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Dyno Tuning advise! Important, please read!

Guys, I just had a set of headers installed and I can tell my car is a bit out of tune now (A/F) [sluggish low end, loose feeling unless I get on it.. ]

I'm also getting a TC done at the same place next week and have scheduled for a basic tune [ adjust shift points, lock up at 35 mph etc.. ]

My question is, should I get a full dyno tune now or wait till I do a cam ?

I'm not going for a cam till late Feb/early March '05

I wouldn't be able to dish out another $450 for a full tune after a cam again if I get one done now..

So, do you think its better to get one done now or wait ? I'm not being able to decide. Please advise
Old 12-16-2004, 10:22 AM
FormerVendor

I am pretty sure someone close to you has a suite that can tune you up for a lot less than 450.00 PM foff667 and see what he says. He is from Derty Jerz and may be close to you
Old 12-16-2004, 10:23 AM

You will be fine. Just wait and get all done at the same time.

Of the cars I have worked on none of them were in bad need of tuning because of adding headers and a TC unless the EGR and AIR systems were removed for the headers.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when i did my headers/tc i just had issues at the track on the 2-3 shift it would smack the rev limiter...and of course the annoying SES light for the ory but other then that it wasnt horrible and i ran decent times even with the 2.73 gears...if anything i would just get a partial tune to clear out the codes for the headers ie egr, air, & o2's and maybe mess with the shift points a little considering you'll have some more slippage with a converter it could start tapping the limiter.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you aren't FI or spraying, it is not as critical. Do you have monitoring software, where you can at least keep an eye on things?

Instead of a "tuning" dyno, consider one of the "3-pull" versions that just let you see what you are doing ($50 to $100 bucks). That way, at least you will KNOW where you are at.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd wait until you get the cam for a dyno tune. Or you can buy tuning software and between now and February learn how to use it. Then if you make changes in the future, you won't have to pay for another tune.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Instead of buying a tune for $500 just buy HPTuner or EFILive for less. The new EFILive does not need a notebook to log data. You will need to have a notebook(cheap one) for the tuning.

Bill