Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some questions others might have.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 11:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions others might have.

Alright....I've searched and can't find a definate answer, so maybe this can help me and some others who are pondering what I'm pondering.

I just bought a Vig3200. I want to know what transmission cooler, like the part # preferably, to use. There are tons of them. Some have fans on them. Do the ones with fans also do what the ones without fans do? Do I need to buy both types? I also would like a gauge....where can I get one? I seen one on summitracing.com but i don't even know if it's what I'm looking for. How about a deeper tranny pan? HELP!

Thanks guys.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

Many of the sponsors here sell the tranny temp gauges...Tbyrne and Thunderacing are two of them. There's also numerous other companies that sell them. Autometer brand gauges is the brand you'll see the most, but there are others. Take a look at Tbyrne's, Thunderracing's, or Autometer's website to start figuring out what style gauge you want...(black face, white face, silver face..what color bezel ring..etc etc.) You then need to start thinking about where you're going to mount it...on the a-pillar..in a dash vent (for a pontiac)..or someplace else. Depending on where you want to mount it, you might need a gauge pillar or gauge pod of sometime. (For example, if you want to mount it on the a-pillar, you'll need a gauge pillar/pod..depending on how many other gauges you plan on mounting with it. In my car, I just did the tranny temp gauge, so I have a single gauge pod holding the gauge on the a-pillar.) The gauge should come with everything you need to install it. I needed a t-fitting from the autoparts store because we wanted to install the temperature sensor in a line instead of in the pan or in the side of the tranny. We also needed more electrical wire to reach from the gauge to the sensor.

As far as tranny cooler's..you do not need one with fans and one without fans. One or the other will do. I'm running one without fans, they tend to be cheaper than the ones with fans. Buy the largest size you can get. A lot of people run either B&M brand or Hayden brand. (Sorry, don't have part #'s handy.)

A deeper pan is good..there's some debate as to how much it lowers the temperature..but getting one with a drain plug is very useful. It makes draining the fluid SOOOO much easier. I bought a used tranny from someone and it had the deep pan on it already, so unfortunately I can't help you with where to get one. Check some of the sponsors on this site (thunder racing, tbyrne, etc). I believe at least one of them sell the deep pan.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Thanks for your input. That's what I was assuming was needed, but from reading so many different post on here, I was getting confused.

I didn't even think of looking at autometers site....

I'm gonna just buy me a big B&M cooler and a gauge. Thanks man.