Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different set-up--I think

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Different set-up--I think

O.K. This is going to sound a little excessive but here goes. I want to be able to take advantage of the x-pipe true dual scavenging and sound but I also want to be able to shut up the noise when I want. Soo, if I were to install one of the do-it-yourself x-pipe kits (ie.summit) and install dual cut-outs just aft of the x and then run the pipes back into a Y and back into my factory exhaust, I think I could have my cake and eat it too. Would there be clearance issues with the driveshaft/torque arm with a y located back that far, would there even be enough vehicle length to do that? Has anyone else already done this? Please chime in and let me know. I will be running either Pacesetter or Hooker long tubes with this combo. Any ideas, pro's or con's, please chime in. Thank you!
Old 12-26-2004, 10:47 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

believe it or not there was a guy on ls1.com a long time ago that tried it. lets just say after it was all said and done he just went back too a straight Y setup.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Assuming he didn't like the sound? I know its seems a little on the extreme side, but if it gave me the best of both worlds I'd be willing to go through with it. Thanks for the input!
Old 12-27-2004, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a little too much work/$$, than what a normal catback witha cutout, would get ya...Or just run a TD setup, and be done..
Old 12-27-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe that the larges hurdle is where the rear Y pipe would cross over. It's too cramped to go over the driveshaft, and if you go under, youre either gonna hit the ground or youll hit the driveshaft. A Y pipe will crossover in the front, no problem, since there's no vertical movement of the torque arm / driveshaft. Towards the rear, there's a half foot or more of movement, which could easily hit the crossover pipe either above or below.

One other Idea you might consider is what Ive got planned for spring time. I currently have the summit 2.5" X pipe kit. From the location where the dumps normally are, I have 45º 90º 45º bends that go under the axle, but tuck to the side right behind each wheel. Right now Ijust have the pipes continuing out to center mounted tips, but in the spring time, im going to add electric cutouts in the normal dumps location, and also put a second set of mufflers before the tips.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if were you i would just get a qtp y-pipe with dual cutouts already in it...and call it a day...hook it up to your factory exhaust...you wont be getting the sound of the x-pipe/true duals if you go back into a y pipe anyways...neither will you really get a power increase because it may scavenge but then it has to go back into one pipe so it kinda defeats the purpose...so in the end you went through a lot of hassle and prolly money too...just to get something that you can basically buy straight up
Old 12-27-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

something i guess you might could try is running a pipe from side to side on the y-pipe...then you end up with an h-pipe before the dual cutouts...i don't know if it will work but its just thought....that might give you a better sound...
Old 12-27-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the input guys, I believe I'm just going to simplify this deal.
Probably just do Lt's with an off road y and weld it into my factory exhaust and then install a cut-out. Power wise, is it more advantageous to put cut-out after the Y or dual cut-outs before the Y? Thanks again!!
Old 12-27-2004, 01:27 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCVT
Thanks for the input guys, I believe I'm just going to simplify this deal.
Probably just do Lt's with an off road y and weld it into my factory exhaust and then install a cut-out. Power wise, is it more advantageous to put cut-out after the Y or dual cut-outs before the Y? Thanks again!!

With a good Y-pipe merge, it's about the same result.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks again for the input!!