Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shorties and CAT Y-pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorties and CAT Y-pipes?

Hey all, popping my cherry with this post being a newbie. First off, I gotta hand it to this site and all that post to it cause its awesome! I have a stock 00SS and want to mod. This is a fair weather car used to get to work 40miles away at 80plus MPH so I need it to stay a driver.

However, I want more power as well--who doesnt.

Anyways, its high miles and CATS or O2's are gone and im getting SES. I want to replace the y-pipe with something like a random tech (I'm due for an emissions check here in Il). I'm interested in Headers as well but dont want to lose ground clearance as I'm looking to drop the car an inch or in the future. Anyone have any hands on experience or thoughts on some Shorties and Random Techs or similar Y-pipes with CATS? Any benefits to this setup compared to Longtubes? Any other headers out there that dont lose ground clearance? Thanks--See ya on the road!
Old 12-27-2004, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, exhaust is a good place to start, (although a lid is the first thing for many people, myself included). If you aren't going to do headers, a new y-pipe would not be worth the money. If you are going to do headers, then LTs may yield a little extra hp, but mids are good too and don't have to worry about ground clearence as much. Are emissions important here? Remember that when considering an ory or catted y. But for the most part ory vs cat is going to be dependant upon your sound preference. I would listen to some setups if possible before making your decision. Good luck
Old 12-27-2004, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Whats a good way to go for a car to drive everyday with. But check up the shorties
inside, and grind them out for better flow. The Randoms Y pipe will fit with no problems.
Name:  bbkshoortys.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  76.2 KB
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TACJ...478627269710080

Last edited by saturnus; 12-27-2004 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Old 12-27-2004, 12:22 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00BLUESS
Hey all, popping my cherry with this post being a newbie. First off, I gotta hand it to this site and all that post to it cause its awesome! I have a stock 00SS and want to mod. This is a fair weather car used to get to work 40miles away at 80plus MPH so I need it to stay a driver.

However, I want more power as well--who doesnt.

Anyways, its high miles and CATS or O2's are gone and im getting SES. I want to replace the y-pipe with something like a random tech (I'm due for an emissions check here in Il). I'm interested in Headers as well but dont want to lose ground clearance as I'm looking to drop the car an inch or in the future. Anyone have any hands on experience or thoughts on some Shorties and Random Techs or similar Y-pipes with CATS? Any benefits to this setup compared to Longtubes? Any other headers out there that dont lose ground clearance? Thanks--See ya on the road!

Most any Long Tube Header (except for SLP LT's) will tuck up fine and not compromise your daily driving. On a budget? Pacesetters. Got cash? QTP or Kooks stainless.

Get the LT's, a decent Y-pipe. Have your rear O2's deleted once you tune the car and/ or purchase some sims for the rear O2's. Without tuning, you'll probably throw codes (even with the sims).

MAC midlength headers are a great compromise.

Only do shorties if you absolutely must. They'll provide gains, but nowhere near the gains of LT's or mid-lengths.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info-All. Im local to Speed Inc and had been on the phone with them prior to salt being put on the roads, so I have a few months to make the final decisions. If I KNEW I could pass emissions without CATS I would go with a no CAT Y-pipe and headers. I have heard you can pass emissions without the CAT but I dont want to put all that money into something only to find the car failed due to poor numbers or a visual spection.

Looks like I can start lookin into the LT and Mids again.
Speed Inc-Im coming your way around April!