Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old K&N vs New K&N

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Old K&N vs New K&N

I am trying to determine if my K&N filter is the right one with my airlid.

The reason I am asking is because I got this lid in 1998 or 1999, and the filter was kind of a "makeshift fit" at the time.

I don't know the old filter part number to cross reference with the new one. The fit isn't exactly perfect, so I am trying to determine if I should spend another $50.

Also, there was no foam gasket that came with it so I am wondering if I have been running around with an inefficient airlid set up.

Any old timers here know about the older filter?

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The K&N filters require a "gasket". The gasket is a piece of weather striping that glues to the lid.

If you don't have a gasket, there is a good chance you've been sucking in dirty air around the filter.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:16 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the reply.

Tomorrow, I ask K&N for that gasket. Good thing I only have 12,000 miles on it otherwise I would have a dirty engine!
Old 01-02-2005, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
The K&N filters require a "gasket". The gasket is a piece of weather striping that glues to the lid.

If you don't have a gasket, there is a good chance you've been sucking in dirty air around the filter.
are you serious, i used to have this filter on my V6 so when i sold it, the gasket wouldnt come off and went with the car, i kept the filter tho, and with the SLP lid, it seems to be holding down real tight, think i am sucking in dirty air with that set-up???
Old 01-03-2005, 07:14 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah, not a comforting thought.

I took out and looked at my filter. I run FTRA with my set up so this is critical for me.

My "dirt pattern" looks good; the the rammed air flow left it's dirt marks square in the middle of the filter. Not to say that some air may have gone around it, but the force fed air left a definitive dirt pattern within the fliter itself.

I'm calling K&N today for the gasket. How does one tell if he has been sucking in dirty air into the engine? Long term effects?

Edit-Update: I was just on the phone with K&N. Since I am an LS1 "pioneer," and got the airlid right after it was marketed, I got part # 33-2014 which was actually for a 89 Corvette. LATER, K&N developed part #33-2118 for the F Body, and that one came with the gasket.

I asked the rep to send me one and he advised against it. He said the old filter was self sealing and was designed that way. When I asked him if I could still apply that gasket to my old filter, he said that it would not fit in the airbox, and would cause clearance issues.

I think he's right, my lid rubs my hood as it is. To add more thickness to the height would likely crack the top of my lid. The good news is I know I have a tight fit with the present filter, the hood exerts strong downpressure on the lid.

Last edited by 1ScrudeDude; 01-03-2005 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-03-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

I'm calling K&N today for the gasket.
Can't you just go down to Home Depot or Lowes and get it? Would be alot easier than waiting on K&N to ship it to you.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
Can't you just go down to Home Depot or Lowes and get it? Would be alot easier than waiting on K&N to ship it to you.
Surely.

But being that I have never even seen this "gasket," I have no idea what the material or brandname it is. Help me out here if you can please...

I MAY decide to put it in if it fits well.