Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which mods for a 2000 transam daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which mods for a 2000 transam daily driver

i currently have a 2000 TRANS AM a4 fully converted into Ram Air, K&N filter, Power Max cat-back exhaust, Hypertech Power Programmer. to me its pretty fast but feel that it can be alot faster. which mods should i get first and how much will they usually cost new and old. i have questions about the torque converter. what does it really do and what kind of result am i looking at. another question is with the gearing. it currently has a 2.73 gears. should i be switching the gearing or should i wait till i get serious mods.

should i sell my hypertech programer so i can get some more money.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:31 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

heed the advice already given.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you plan on taking your car to the track, the TC is a must. It also means - that you'll want a whole host of other mods, and selling the Hypertech programmer.

If the track is not in your future, why not just add a 100 shot of N2O. It'll definitely give you the power you want, will not sacrifice any driveability, and will be easily removed if you ever decide to sell the car. Good Luck
Old 12-30-2004, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah it sucks you have that hypertech...they aren't any good...you might want to look into headers, with true duals or either a 3"y-pipe...also a lid is a must, ls6 intake is nice too...after that you are looking into big stuff for the engine, or some suspension/tires....your first mod should be a torque converter...it stalls the tranny into a higher rpm so you are immediatly in the power band
Old 12-30-2004, 07:38 AM
10 Second Club

get a good converter..........i paid $600shipped for mine NIB.
underdrive pulley.............around $230 for pulley, belts, ect.
LS6 intake............$300 seems to be the going price sometime better prices come up
& if emissions arnt a problem then get
LT headers & ory.......... headers can be had for $380 ORY-not sure i have duals

After bigger mods like a converter youll need to get the car retuned(dyno tune around $350), which makes your hypertech useless just sell it.

not sure how you coverted to ram air , got a hood, or a ramair kit? either way get a lid($70-130) if you dont already have one.

i droped 1.1sec off my ET's going from stock to headers/ true duals/ stall/ with a good tune from TSP.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:38 AM
Teching In

get a good zorst extactor setup maffless tune ( thats right get rid of the maf forever ) and get an OTRCAI ( Over The Radiator Cold Air Intake ) and a set of 3.9 diff gears these will have u humming in no time and overm ere in OZ u can get these for bout $4000aus . good luck
Old 12-30-2004, 07:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by OLS108
get a good zorst extactor setup maffless tune ( thats right get rid of the maf forever ) and get an OTRCAI ( Over The Radiator Cold Air Intake ) and a set of 3.9 diff gears these will have u humming in no time and overm ere in OZ u can get these for bout $4000aus . good luck
Old 12-30-2004, 07:44 AM
Teching In

WHA ? what dont u understand freind ? are u saying that u USA boyz are behind us blokes in tunning the LS1 ?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

long tube headers
a good cat back exhaust
3.73 gears
A good Stall converter
intake lid and K&N filter
LS1 edit tuning(NO HYPERTECH)
BFG or the new Mickey Thompson drag radials
This will catapult you well into the 12's safely
good luck

if heads and cam are in the future, you will probably need a stronger rear end, at this you will want 4.10 gears. 11's all day when you get there.

Nitrous on top of all this 10's baby
Old 12-30-2004, 11:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$4000aus seems like alot, i dont know what the exhange rate is, i thought you could only get rid of the MAF by rewiring the car, painless's kit has no provisions for a MAF, i didnt think you could tune it out. Go with what B-Man said, you could also add a cam if you wanted, it you dont want to go big go with the LS6 cam, i think its a little bigger than the hotcam but its not huge. then just get some good valve springs and low 12's will be on the board. Since its an auto if you did do heads and cam the rearend might/should hold up since most of the torque is kept in the tranny and not the rearend like the M6 guys. There was a A4 TA in GMHTP that ran 10's on the stock 10 bolt, spraying all the way.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:25 AM
10 Second Club

I agree with 98NBM_TransAm, no sence in spending money that you don't have to. If done right these cars can go plenty quick and fast with minimal
expenditures.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:29 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by borisshnitkin
i currently have a 2000 TRANS AM a4 fully converted into Ram Air, K&N filter, Power Max cat-back exhaust, Hypertech Power Programmer. to me its pretty fast but feel that it can be alot faster. which mods should i get first and how much will they usually cost new and old. i have questions about the torque converter. what does it really do and what kind of result am i looking at. another question is with the gearing. it currently has a 2.73 gears. should i be switching the gearing or should i wait till i get serious mods.

should i sell my hypertech programer so i can get some more money.
Is your name Boris?

The reason I ask is because that what my name is.My friend nicknamed me "B-MAN"
Old 12-30-2004, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

yea my name is boris. the last owner said that the hood is functional. there is a huge filter that sits right under the hood scoops. ill post pictures later on. sorry about all the questions. this is my first ls1.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

If you search for first mods, etc etc things like that you will find tons and tons of old posts on this topic. I will go ahead and say (though searching should find it) that you need to get a converter firstk, and a lid, and drag radials.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by borisshnitkin
yea my name is boris. the last owner said that the hood is functional. there is a huge filter that sits right under the hood scoops. ill post pictures later on. sorry about all the questions. this is my first ls1.
More than likely, you have a suncoast creations hood. Those require a large intake filter for proper operation. A very nice hood my I add.