Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/ Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help w/ Brake Lights

Well, I'm having a problem w/ my brake lights that I can't seem to figure out. My rear turn signals work, the parking lights work & the third brake light works. It's just the driver & passenger brake lights that don't work.

At one point, I thought it was the brake light switch, so I got a new on. The brake lights worked for a while, but then I noticed that they stopped working again. I then took a look at the wires going into the brake light switch & saw one that looked a little mangled, so I fixed it. Brake lights starting working again. I get to UHAUL today to get some propane, & just for the hell of it while we were waiting, I had my wife go hit the brake to make sure the lights were still working.......They weren't!!!

No fuses are blowing. The lights are in good shape, they aren't blown. Since both brake lights are not working, it has to be in the wiring correct? Or is there something else I'm missing. Could it be the sockets?

BTW.....the car is a 01 TA.

Thanks in advance for any help.

**UPDATE**

I think (actually I hope) I have the problem fixed. The brake light switched was not in the correct position. As soon as I moved the brake switch a little bit, the lights came on. We'll see if that fixes it for good.

Last edited by cmacc; 12-30-2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the edit didn't fix it, if both died this time, it should be a wiring problem.

It is good that you seemed to have fixed it though.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, sometimes its a bitch to get that switch positioned just right.
I hope your fixed, good luck.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:54 AM
On The Tree

I had that same problem. I took it to my mechanic and he re-wired the back and changed brake switch which fixed it about 1/2 way. They were still not comming on all the time. I finally got smart and took it to an electrican and they jiggled the turn signal switch and moved the steering wheel up and down. They figured out it was the turn signal switch had to be replaced for like $300. Hopefully it is fixed tho! Good luck
Old 01-01-2005, 09:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by falconskaterjohn
They figured out it was the turn signal switch had to be replaced for like $300. Hopefully it is fixed tho! Good luck
a guy a worked with had the same problem, turn signals work, high mount light works, main two brake lights didnt work, turned out he needed a new turn signal lever, this was on a 95(i think) riviera