Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

washed motor, now wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 12:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy washed motor, now wont start!

had an oil leak so I had to clean the engine, now it wont start. It turns over fine like its going to start, but doesnt. Any ideas on what could of happened? It was washed with low pressure, 01 Z.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:38 AM
Launching!

when did you wash it?? i had a toyata truck with an lt1 in it once and i did the same thing...everytime i washed it whether i washed the engine or not it wouldnt start till i gave it time to dry..if it was humid out i had to wait quite sometime and i can imagine that alabama is about the same humidity.. you may have wetted a few coils..maybe need to bust out the hair dryer..haha...anyway.. you may just wanna wait for some better info..someone that has had experience with the ls1 not cranking when wet..because the reason that the lt1 wouldnt crank was because the coil got wet..but i dont see all 8 coils on the ls1 getting too wet to crank because i wash mine and then have no probs..like i said tho there may be something simple that someone else might know about so just keep your eyes on the thread and let us know when you correct the prob.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:42 AM
Launching!

I would give it ample time to dry and then try it again.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Launching!

tried this morn, no start=-(. Its been about 19 hours
Old 01-01-2005, 11:20 AM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

If it is turning over then I would check the connectors for the injectors and the plugs. This shouldn't be a problem. I wash engine bays all the time. However, I am very cautious of electrical connections and I have also used the high pressure setting.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:01 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I use high presure at the car wash on a lot of them and never one failer. Have you done any electrical work onthe car yourself that might not be water tight? Make sure your fuel pump is turning on you should be able to hear it if not then check the fuel pump relay etc it ifs on the drivers side of the engine bay check the wires etc...If you have fuel pump. You can put a spark plug on one of your wires and ground it to the ehaust and have some one turn it over and see if you have spark (Don't hold it with your hand though insulated pliers). If no spark check all the coils for loose or connector with out the O-rings etc... Just a few things I can think of off the top of my head to check with limited tools and time. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Launching!

like inspector12 said..i would guess it to be ignition electrical.. what to do to test that is just like inspector12 said or just take a bolt that fits into the head of the plug wire and hold the wire and hold it off the exhaust or some other ground and check to see if it arcs..you have to get it pretty close and i always took a pair of gloves and instead of putting them on i wrapped the pair around the wire..if you have fire at all plugs then check fuel delivery. its most likely ignition related tho i would think
Old 01-01-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Did you spray the PCM?
A4? M6?

Could you push start it? (M6)
Old 01-02-2005, 05:33 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it turns over pushing it won't help. The bolt thing works to I just like using a sparkplug. And you said you guess it would be ignition? Do you hear the fuel pump kicking on? If so then if you have sprck I would be looking at the PCM or an ignition related plug obviously also as it may not be pulsing the injectors etc... Good luck.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a crank no start problem on a car like an ls1 with multiple coils and multiple injectors is generally cause by a crank sensor or fuel pump. check your crank sensor for water in the connector or simply check for crank signal by watching your tach while you crank the tach should move if your getting signal. the starter should generate between 100-200 rpms and thats what should be shownif not then you know that the computers not getting the signal whether its the connector at the pcm or the crank sensor.

Last edited by Cody Brooks; 01-02-2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Launching!

ok, tach doesnt move when turning over. Also no fuel pressure at the fuel rail valve. Havent checked the spark as it got dark b4 I could today. I guess I need to remove the 2 pcm plugs and see if they are wet, & try drying them w/ air?? Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-02-2005, 07:27 PM
Launching!

ok pulled the plugs and hit with air & the pcm, still no go. its starting to look like the fuel pump. Damn thing only has about 18k on it =-(
Old 01-02-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Regular

Did you get the fuse block wet? Take a test light and check the fuses. If you have a bad fuse only one side of the fuse will have power. Works way better then just looking at them and is faster too. Good luck
Old 01-02-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your pcm fuse. I had a friend of mine with a 00 SS and his car wouldn't start, and he didn't hear the fuel pump come on either. He checked that fuse, and it was the culprit. I hope this would fix your problem cause its cheap and simple. You may have blown this fuse when all of your connectors were wet when you tried to start it the first time. Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Launching!

checked all the fuses with a test light before I did the pcm =-(
I wish it were a fuse.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

make sure you have power going to the fuel pump because lets face it you don't want to do that unless its the only thing left. make sure your fuel pump relay clicks when you turn the key on good to have a buddy in this situation. then if it does find a connector as close to the tank as possible and check to make sure you have power there. if your relay doesn't click your control circuit on your fuel pump relay has a problem and needs to be fixed. I don't have a schematic in front of me so I'm not sure what alls on that side of the ciruit although I'm sure the pcm is and the pcm would be the source for the ground which means you would then check for power in 2 of the 5 available terminals then for ground in the other 3. the main ground that are of importance being the fuel pump that grounds the load side and the pcm that grounds your control side. to check for ground through the pcm I would recommend that you use a mutlimeter as opposed to a test light to keep from damaging the computer. hook up the mutlimeter to a 12v source and then carefully touch the pcm terminal in the relay box and check for a 12 volt reading with the multimeter set on dc voltage.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Seems hard to beleive that the fuel pump would just happen to suddenly go out immediatly after you wash the engine bay, especially with only 18K on it. The odds would be highly aganist that. My guess is that somewhere an exposed wire, terminal, or connection got wet and some fuse or relay got damaged.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

make very sure the fuse and relay box is dry .... blow some compressed air in there

my wifes blazer had mositure in hers due to the hood being left partialy open and raining and the horn started going off and wouldnt go off .... i know its not the same but crazy thing happen

Quick Reply: washed motor, now wont start!