Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tune idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to tune idle

I have a TR224 cam and did the throttle set screw mod to get my idle a little smoother. That worked good for about a week now the car likes to idle rough again. The idle dips down to like 400-500 rpms maybe lower and will almost die if I dont give it some gas. I just got HP Tuners and was wondering where to start actually tuning my idle? I raised my idle spped a little and it didnt seem to help to much. Is there anything else to change to get this thing to idle nice?
Old 01-07-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

http://www.ls1tuning.com/iboard/index.php?showtopic=9

from what is listed in that thread, i just did the idle speed and the VE table modifications. made my F13 idle pretty good (surges a bit on startup, but then it finds its spot and idles great).
Old 01-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Banned

Heres how I basicly do it. Perfect idle everytime.

-Start off with getting the car to idle, then check your ltrims, put those in line first.
-Make sure you want to idle your car at about 900-950 for a cam because it will idle so much cleaner.
-Go to all your spark tables and set the park and drive idle vavles in that area to about 22 degrees.
-Then after you have all that going, switch over to something that lets you see IAC counts and your TPS voltage. This is where you have to spend some time on it.
-Make sure your counts are between 40-60 for the IAC. This is a good amount for cam cars. Considering the stock cam runs at about 60-80 counts sometimes. The cam car will want less counts.
-To acheive this, shut the car down, raise the idle set screw up alittle, then unplug the TPS, turn the key forward for 30 seconds, turn the key off, plug TPS back in, then start the car.
-Now go back to scanner and look at your counts. Keep doing this till you reach your goal. It will take you about 4-6 times till you get where you want, but I promise you will like the results.
-The last thing to keep in mind is you cant have high voltage on TPS sensor or else the car will fall into the wrong cell at idle. So make sure everytime you change the setscrew, you fix the voltage. No more than .4-.6 I would say safely.

Another thing to help also after those changes are made is the VE. Go to cranking VE table, times the whole table by about 80% to lower it, then go to your primary or secondary if you have it, and drop about 3-6 counts off the idle area on your VE table. This will give you a nice stable idle and start up as well.

Let me know how you like it.

Rick
Old 01-11-2005, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

PM'd ya.