Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backfiring????

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backfiring????

earlier today i was crusing and as i started to apply the brake from about 40-50mph i started to hear a POP! POP! i was embarassed. what could it be? i know plenty of no cat cars with the same set up as me and tehy dont have this problem
Old 01-09-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had severe backfiring problems at certain rpms when I was having misfires. Although my car does do a little backfiring when shifting and downshifting sometimes.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01TAFlyer
I had severe backfiring problems at certain rpms when I was having misfires. Although my car does do a little backfiring when shifting and downshifting sometimes.
what do you think i should have checked out? its pretty noticeable.. i think i know what backfiring your talkin about... im just kinda bothered by it.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, if you know someone with autotap, or hptuners, efilive, etc. they could check for misfires, did this just start happening? or have you done a mod to your car recently? headers do make the car run rich in some peoples cases, every car is different. Are you still having a problem, getting worse or better?
Old 01-11-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default reply

Originally Posted by 01TAFlyer
Well, if you know someone with autotap, or hptuners, efilive, etc. they could check for misfires, did this just start happening? or have you done a mod to your car recently? headers do make the car run rich in some peoples cases, every car is different. Are you still having a problem, getting worse or better?
well i do have longtubes with no cats and LM. im ditching the LM and i have a really bad exaust leak at the at the heads. could this be a problem? it happens when im slowing down it pops real bad. should i get it tuned?
Old 01-11-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same thing, once I go above 3krpms and let off the pedal, my car sounds like a semi automatic. It's kind of annoying but I deal with it. I am hoping once I install my cam and get a tune it'll go away or reduce.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Regular

i put headers on my TA about a month ago, followed by a custom true daul 2 3/4 inch pipes no cats no mufflers. when i try and start it up it doesnt turn over, try again and it backfires, it'll either follow with another backfire or start up. ive noticed a lot of guys with this same problem. a buddy said it might be the wires so i bought some taylor thunderbolt wires, still doing it... i just put some ngk tr-55 spark plugs in when i put the headers on, have no clue whats causin it.