Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Rod Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 01:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap rod bearings?

The rods and pistons are out of the car... that is the worst one. Motor is a stock rod and piston Ls1 with 55k miles on it. That bearing is the most worn.. and there is another one sort of like it.. no copper is showing.. the red in that pic was something from the camera.... you can barely feel a little grove.

Wondering if I should swap out the bearings on the rods with new ones.. if so what brand / type... and if I do swap bearings can I just swap and go or will I need to check clearances and everything else that goes along with it....

appreciate it..

Last edited by SS346Ls1; 01-10-2005 at 01:49 AM.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:39 AM
10 Second Club

You most definately need to check the clearances and put in new bearings. You need to mic the crank journals. You may have to turn the crank, if you do you will have to get the undersized bearings. You will need new rings and a good hone at the very least.
It sounds like you have no experience in rebuilding engines. You need to find someone who does to help you, or bring it to a machine shop and let them do it. It can get expensive and time consuming if you dont know what your doing, and dont get it within specs.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

As has been said, the rod bearings are shot. Clevite 77's P/N 663P are what you need assuming the journals are standard. From the looks of your photo that bearing has gotten very hot (usually means DRY, that happens about 1 micro second before the HOT), you probably have bearing material deposited on the crank journal as well.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides what has already been recommended you also need to find out what caused this condition in the first place or you'll be right back where you are now after the rebuild. Spun bearing=heat=excess friction=lack of lubrication. Go fish.