Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can a man get some help????? Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can a man get some help????? Please

Hi to all, I have a 1997 gmc Yukon with 5.7 liter engine, now I know little about transmissions but do have a small working knowledge about what needs to happen. I don't understand how I got Trans problem from snow but can relate. I was on a spot of Ice, I was slipping and not moving forward, I speeded up and got moving and started to slide so I pressed breaks and gained control. As I started to move forward again I had no drive. none going forward anyway's, it will go in reverse easily, I need help cause I'm getting all these crazy prices, it has 150,ooomiles and don't want to spend $3,000 to fix it and the engine go's a month later. I do know some about fixing things and have taken on some projects to a successful point but I have had full mechanics do Trans work and always had trouble, so I know you really need to know what your doing when it comes to Trans work. Any help would be thankful.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it a 4L60E or 4L80E?
Was there and quick stop when it was sliding?
Did the check engine light come on?
Might have a broken forward sprag, have you tried driving it in manual low?
Old 01-16-2005, 05:18 PM
Teching In

its a 4l60e, yes it was a quick stop, and I think I heard a slight thud, no the check engine didnt come on, its starts fine and goes into reverse fine, just when you put it in drive nothing happens, it moves forward a slight bit and revs high, and it wont go forward at all.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not the transmission expert here but I have worked on a few and like to do the job once and have it done right so I gather as much information as I can before I take on a rebuild/upgrade. I wish some more experienced people here would sort of verify my 'guess' on some of the problem people have asked me about.
But seeing that it set no codes I think it would be a mechanical problem. And since it sounds like it was running on ice then came to a quick stop makes me think the forward sprag broke, it's the only mechanical thing thats a little on the weak side to begin with.
So I guess if it were my trans I would take it out, take the pan off, remove the tcc solinoid and fwd accumulator tube, pull the pump, take the input drum out and apart and check the sprag. The 3-4 clutch needs to come out of the drum first and they are the first to go usually so I'd inspect them.
I'd order a gasket and sealing ring kit and seperate clutch frictions only, reuse the steels. www.bulkpart.com has some good prices.
If theres a lot of garbage floating around in the trans have the converter cut open and rebuilt or get a rebuilt one.
Then if it turns out to be an electrical problem you could do the rest with the refreshed trans in the van.
The parts above minus the converter should be well under $250 if you do the work yourself.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Have you tried finding a used tranny and just replacing it?
Old 01-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Teching In

thanks for the info, but I dont have the first clue about what I would be doing to pull the trans, where can I get some lit or info on what to do so I would have some clue about where I would start and what to and what not to do? The one thing I know is the feel of a trans and it was changing fine and shifting with no problems. It out ran most cars on the road with no trouble!
Old 01-17-2005, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

If you would like some help with this, pm me. I will send you my# so I can walk you through it.