Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a Cometic Head gasket still be good..

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a Cometic Head gasket still be good..

After being torqued down, engine never fired, and then reusing after having to pull the heads for another issue? Once the heads were put back on there was a small leak of coolant from the drivers side in the back. The installer said not to worry about it. Yesterday while doing a cam swap we noticed a water and oil mix in the oil cover, dip stick, and TB. After Pulling the heads the pistons have a white crusty coating on them. Oh my car has studs and the installer said he retorqued them aftrer a heat cycle.

TIA
Old 01-17-2005, 05:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should be no issues with the gasket it self after 2-4, sometimes even 5 uses. I have gone as much as 5 times reusing them with no issues.

WHere exactly is the leak, externally or internally, I cant tell from your post.

Drain the oil. If it looks like a milkshake, its the gaskets. Condensation is different, and will produce a white film on the oil cap itself.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis
Should be no issues with the gasket it self after 2-4, sometimes even 5 uses. I have gone as much as 5 times reusing them with no issues.

WHere exactly is the leak, externally or internally, I cant tell from your post.

Drain the oil. If it looks like a milkshake, its the gaskets. Condensation is different, and will produce a white film on the oil cap itself.
It's definately milk shake. The leak was running down the drivers side rear of the block.