Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How much is my stock 10 bolt 2.73 worth? And question about a 9inch Aluminum center S

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much is my stock 10 bolt 2.73 worth? And question about a 9inch Aluminum center S

Getting a new rear just wondering if I should keep that 10 bolt hog around and find someplace to store it forever, or try to get rid of it? If so is it worth more with the end plates?

One more question, where can I find prices on a 9inch rear end with the aluminum center section? Does it still rob big Hp?
Old 01-30-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i bought a 10 bolt with 3.42 and 12000 miles on it for $100. Guess it depends on where youre selling it and how bad someone needs it. $200-250 seems to be the norm.

Tom
Old 01-30-2005, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by speedo
Getting a new rear just wondering if I should keep that 10 bolt hog around and find someplace to store it forever, or try to get rid of it? If so is it worth more with the end plates?

One more question, where can I find prices on a 9inch rear end with the aluminum center section? Does it still rob big Hp?
I was planning on saving mine as a spare, but not sure now. The 9" with the aluminum center section wii still rob as much power as the other 9". If you go with an aluminum spool and lightened gears with gun drilled axles you may get a little back (with the decrease in rotational weight) but the biggest loss in a 9" comes from the design of it and the fact that the pinion intersects the ring gear about 1" lower than the GM does. If you are that concerned about HP you might consider the Strange 12 bolt center section. It bolts in place of a 9" center section on a 9" housing, yet it is lighter than a comparable 9" and is 3% more effeceint.