Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Can I just drop in a Walbro.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I just drop in a Walbro.......

...and wire it myself? Or do I have to get a "kit" from Racetronix or something? The 340 pump is around $100 most places, so i'm wondering why I should spend $250 on a kit. I can soldier wires if I need to. What am I missing? The 340 seems like the "popular" pump, but why cant I just find one and drop it in? Does it require something else?

I plan on running a walbro340 (255lph) or equivalent pump with some sort of voltage booster.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

sure you can just stick it in there. will work great. you will have to fool with your stock pump bucket but its nothing a backyard mechanic cant figure out (or help you figure out if you're not one)
Old 02-02-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
sure you can just stick it in there. will work great. you will have to fool with your stock pump bucket but its nothing a backyard mechanic cant figure out (or help you figure out if you're not one)
Thanks for the reply,

can you elaborate on this

"The Racetronix pump assembly is equipped with an outlet which supplies the factory venturi system which is required to keep the factory system functional! All other pump solutions to date do not have this feature which requires a hole be punched in the bottom of the fill-bucket thereby dangerously disabling its functionality."

So if I drop in a regular ol' gss340 (not the racetronix unit), I'll have to put a hole in the bucket? I'm not understanding what they mean by "supplies the factory venturi system". What makes their setup different?

Looking at their kit again, it does already come with a hotwire ($70 from speed) so the price doesnt look too bad. Those delphi weatherpacks look nice
Old 02-02-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

the racetronix kit is all inclusive and they evidently have a well engineered solution to the normal 'have to drill holes in the bucket' way. however i have a 98 and have no bucket at all from the factory and i don't consider anything dangerous about it.

i bought a non water resistant relay from radio shack for 6 bux and used wire i allready had. so it was significantly cheaper. this is always the case if you do your own legwork. but is certainly easier and 'nicer' to get an all inclusive 'kit'
Old 02-03-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

I built an aluminum craddle for my Walboro. http://www.mustangmods.com/data/440/cradle.jpg

I cut a hole in my rear deck and can remove my pump in about 15 minutes now.

Beware, this pump is loud!
Old 02-03-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry
I built an aluminum craddle for my Walboro. http://www.mustangmods.com/data/440/cradle.jpg

Do you have a cover for the hole in the deck? How did you fasten it?
Old 02-03-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Muffracing
Do you have a cover for the hole in the deck? How did you fasten it?
I just bought some aluminum sheeting and held it on with aluminum tape around the edges. Not particularly pretty but the carpet covers it anyway.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

larry sorry to say it but your pump is loud because of your aluminum cradle.

put a slice of fuel hose between the pump and the bracket and it will be quiet like stock.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Larry

Thanks for the pic. Not quite sure what i'm looking at though. What is the purpouse of your cradle? Do ya have a pic from farther away?
Old 02-03-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Y2K2LS1
Thanks for the pic. Not quite sure what i'm looking at though. What is the purpouse of your cradle? Do ya have a pic from farther away?
Without the cradle the pump does not align with the hole in the bottom of the factory bracket where the filter attaches. You would end up crushing the factory bracket with the hose clamps without the support of the cradle.

Sorry but I do not have a pic from a farther distance.