Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Arm Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Arm Recommendations

First off, I know this subject has been beat to death but unfortunately my searches haven't yielded any solid information.

Currently I am running the stock rocker arms, Patriot Gold Double Springs (good to .650 lift I believe), stock LS1 heads, and a TSP 231/237 .596/.591. Rev limiter is set to 7000 and I am shifting at 6800rpm N/A and 6600rpm on the Nitrous. The motor will pull hard all the way to 7000rpm.

The valvetrain has been obviously noisey since the cam install, but I have noticed lately a clicking/ticking sound that has been gradually getting louder over time. Sound seems to be isolated just under the valve cover over the #6 cylinder. My only conclusion is one of the rocker arms has some slop in it causing the sound. (I used the 5/8 rubber hose method. Stick one end to your ear and the other end on the block/valve cover/water to isolate the sound.)

The motor is not down on power. Has been consistantly running in the 94-95mph range N/A and 102-103 range on nitrous. I have heard the fulcrum on the stock rockers will loosen over time and eventually start puking needle bearings. We haven't found any needle bearings in the oil pan, but I believe its only a matter of time.

I've read a few times that some of the heavier aftermarket rocker arms can cause valve float and I don't understand if it is in fact because the rocker arms are too heavy or if it is improper valve spring choice.

What rocker arms have yielded the best results for most of you? Are adjustable rocker arm neccessary? Are people still having problems with the Yella Terra or Harland Sharp? Harland Sharp looks like the best price, but I don't want to short change myself if I will have problems in the future.

Thanks very much in advance for any feedback.

Ross
Old 02-04-2005, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

1ST Ihope those mph werent in the 1320, theyre low #s. 2nd Ive read that the stock rockers are fine and even the bigger dogs still run them. Harland shrps ive heard a couple of problems with the neddle bearings coming apart,, but dont have factual data to back it up maybe someone out there had experince w/them. I ve read that the after markets weight does have something to do with valve float. Anyways I personaly plan on keeping the stock ones or replace them with the stockers. hope this helps!
Old 02-04-2005, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NO5.0
1ST Ihope those mph werent in the 1320, theyre low #s. 2nd Ive read that the stock rockers are fine and even the bigger dogs still run them. Harland shrps ive heard a couple of problems with the neddle bearings coming apart,, but dont have factual data to back it up maybe someone out there had experince w/them. I ve read that the after markets weight does have something to do with valve float. Anyways I personaly plan on keeping the stock ones or replace them with the stockers. hope this helps!
My fault, I should have specified, those are 1/8 mile runs.

I've also seen that Harland upgrades the stock rockers, does anyone have any feedback on those?
Old 02-04-2005, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

1/8 MILE COOL! if youre getting noise from the one side it is definitly worth the while of taking the valve covering off to have alook see. sounds like one of the nuts backed off on the rocker?
Old 02-04-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still running my stock rocker arms. If you are hearing noise that may sound like rocker arms, check it out. Don't guess at it. As for the Harland upgrades, I have a set in the basement. They didn't fit worth a **** on my 98 heads. I have heard both good and bad. Some have had floating problems with them. Your call guy.

David
Old 02-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NO5.0
1/8 MILE COOL! if youre getting noise from the one side it is definitly worth the while of taking the valve covering off to have alook see. sounds like one of the nuts backed off on the rocker?

i have had to replace 2 rocker arms in a year side of the fulcrum broke completely out and yes it will get alot louder once it breaks
Old 02-04-2005, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will deffinately pull both valve covers and take a look at all the rockers and pushrods.

How much do stock rockers usually cost, and where would be the best place to buy them? Can you buy them single or do you have to get a whole set?

I wasn't too crazy about spending the money on the coil relocation kit, but now it looks like its going to pay off.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Jesels and don't look back...

Chris
Old 02-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before you buy any rockers, get the valve cover off. You might find that the rockers are fine, and what you actually have is a bad lifter or bent push rod.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cal
Before you buy any rockers, get the valve cover off. You might find that the rockers are fine, and what you actually have is a bad lifter or bent push rod.
Would there be anything specific to look for if it was a bad lifter? Would there be an oil pressure change? I'd hate to pull the head off if it wasn't a bad lifter.

I've heard good things about the Jessel rocker arms, but damn they are expensive. You could buy a set of heads for the price of the adjustables.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

For the best VALUE in aftermarket LSx rockers I got the Harlan Sharps. Everybody wants $650+. The Harlans were only $330 + shipping. They're a tad heavier than stock at the nose, but a good spring will take care of that. It's not like I'm spinning past 6500. Just a suggestion.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bad2000ss
Thanks everyone for the responses. I will deffinately pull both valve covers and take a look at all the rockers and pushrods.

How much do stock rockers usually cost, and where would be the best place to buy them? Can you buy them single or do you have to get a whole set?

I wasn't too crazy about spending the money on the coil relocation kit, but now it looks like its going to pay off.

stock rocker arm gm dealer $28 a piece u can buy them seperatly
Old 02-05-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cstraub
Jesels and don't look back...

Chris
Which Jesel's? I thought the SS model is not adjustable.

David
Old 02-06-2005, 06:19 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Which Jesel's? I thought the SS model is not adjustable.

David
there not
Old 02-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

I noticed no one mentioned COMP's roller rockers. Aren't they any good? I have a set I was getting ready to blot on. 1.75:1 ratio.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:46 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotrod God
I noticed no one mentioned COMP's roller rockers. Aren't they any good? I have a set I was getting ready to blot on. 1.75:1 ratio.
they arent bad if you need a cheap ajd. rocker. i just prefere shaft mounts over the studs and guide plates
Old 02-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

they arent bad if you need a cheap ajd. rocker. i just prefere shaft mounts over the studs and guide plates
Why are shaft mounted better?
Old 02-10-2005, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

Pulled both covers and all the rockers looked ok. One of the rockers over the #6 cylinder was a bit loose. The bolt was only finger tight. Pulled the pushrod out and it was strait. Cranked it down just a bit and the sound went away.

I'm glad it turned out to be something small. I think I will eventually go with a set of the Jessels when I can afford them.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

good guess hey ! glad you found the problem.