Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Thread chasers/taps

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thread chasers/taps

Getting ready to install new heads on my 6.0L ( have a set of 241 heads). I will be using ARP bolts. I asked ARP if they had a thread chaser that would work with the long bolt holes (over 5 inches). They do not have a chaser/tap for the long bolts. Does anyone know of a long tap? If not, I plan to take one of the original head bolts and cut 4 grooves in the threads to act as a thread chaser. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:31 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That's what I did when re-installing my heads.

Also, I picked up 10" q-tips to soak up the residual moisture in the holes. A little trick to reduce the amount of antifreeze in the bolts holes is to losen all of the head bolts but don't remove them. Then lift the head and let the antifreeze pour out. This way it doesn't go in the bolt holes.... at least in theory.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
That's what I did when re-installing my heads.

Also, I picked up 10" q-tips to soak up the residual moisture in the holes. A little trick to reduce the amount of antifreeze in the bolts holes is to losen all of the head bolts but don't remove them. Then lift the head and let the antifreeze pour out. This way it doesn't go in the bolt holes.... at least in theory.
Thanks for the idea. Guess that is what I will do, cut an exiting bolt.

Quick Reply: Thread chasers/taps