Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P to V clearance problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default P to V clearance problems

Ok I've had this cam in my car for over a year now and have never had a problem with it. I decided to take the heads off and get them milled. Before I milled them I wanted to check my P to V clearance so I would know how much is safe. So I cleaned off the head and deck, put the old gasket on, tightened everything down, put the rockers on, used light weight springs for the valve drop test and turned the motor over. now for some reason both the intake and exhaust valves are hitting the piston. WTF is going on? There are no marks on the pistons or valves to show that it has ever hit a piston before so I have no Idea what is going on now. Did I miss something? All I did was take the head off, clean it and put it back on to test the clearance and now it doesn't clear at all. I am at a 100% loss as to what to do now. I wanted to mill the heads but aparently I was running a .007 clearance on P to V as it was. My new headgasket is thicker and I will loose horse power by putting it in. I really didn't plan on making it weaker by taking it apart. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?
Old 02-15-2005, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Well I thought I'd just update my thred, I forgot to set valve lash to 0 which is why I was hitting pistons. Kind of a dumb mistake, but hey, it happens! After trying both methods of claying the pistons, and using a dial indicator, I wouldn't recamend claying the pistons to anyone. It's almost impossible to get an accurate reading from the clay because it's still stuck to the piston. Although it does give you a good Idea of the closest point for PV clearance.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:51 AM
10 Second Club

Glad to see you worked it all out ok!