Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Should Bearing Caps Slide On/Off??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should Bearing Caps Slide On/Off??

I have a stock aluminium driveshaft out of an 98-02 ls1 and I was wondering is it normal to have the bearing caps be able to slide on and off the ujoint with ease? To me it just doesnt seem like it should do that. I havent installed the driveshaft yet and wont until I get some info on this. Im guessing I might have to replace the Ujoint, but I dont see why they would be just sliding on and off for no reason, I thought they had to be pressed on? Any info would help...thanks.

Chris

**For clarification in case im calling it the wrong part, I am talking about the bearing caps that bolt to the rear end part of the ujoint.

Last edited by 92CamaroReallySlow; 02-17-2005 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 92CamaroReallySlow
I have a stock aluminium driveshaft out of an 98-02 ls1 and I was wondering is it normal to have the bearing caps be able to slide on and off the ujoint with ease? To me it just doesnt seem like it should do that. I havent installed the driveshaft yet and wont until I get some info on this. Im guessing I might have to replace the Ujoint, but I dont see why they would be just sliding on and off for no reason, I thought they had to be pressed on? Any info would help...thanks.

Chris

**For clarification in case im calling it the wrong part, I am talking about the bearing caps that bolt to the rear end part of the ujoint.
They're supposed to be like that. They have little roller bearings in there and if they were pressed on they wouldnt be able to spin. Dont let those pins come out of the cup, it can be a major PITA to put them back.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well thats good news...yea i know not to let the pins get loose, but i was just wondering why the have to spin? The ones on my old driveshaft (out of third gen) dont seem to spin. Maybe im just going crazy...
Old 02-18-2005, 12:51 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your just crazy

the spinning of the caps allows it to articulate and pivot, once the driveshaft straps are on, they arent going anywhere. some have a little bar connecting the two caps together through the u-joint, but others dont. the 1350 on my 12 bolt for example, has no restraints, or even clips. the yolk on the rear end has raised areas on the ends of where the u-joint mates up to keep it centered and from sliding out.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well its always good to know you dont have a grip on reality any more...

I guess it makes sense that they spin, but it seems like a weak link that they can slide off that easy and that their only held in by those little "straps". Always good learnin though... Thanks for the help
Old 02-19-2005, 02:16 AM
12 Second Club

remember there are no stupid questions only stupid people like me. when I first did u joint I was a little confused too.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know this is a old thread and im just searching, but i thought id throw in why the 3rdgen one doesnt do that...

the FACTORY 3rdgen ujoints had plastic injected in there after they were assembled... so they dont just come apart... they can spin, but the ends dont slide off... every aftermarket and most OEM u-joints, can slide off...

anyhoo, back to my search for a 1350 ujoint......
Old 02-23-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

You had to melt the wax out of the groove so that you could press the caps out. The caps NEVER SPIN. Even with just the wax holding them.