Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

vinyl windshield removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vinyl windshield removal

Hey guys.. I have a strip of vinyl on the outside of my front windshield that has been on there for about a year. If I take it off, will there be anything wrong with the glass underneath? will you be able to tell that I had it on there? If not, what is the best way to remove it? thanks!
Old 02-24-2005, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

From my exprience vinyl comes off pretty easy, even after it's been there awhile. A good razor blade should do it. Pull material back on itself slowly for best results (like 180 degrees, not straight out at 90 degrees) Depending on quality, there shouldn't really be any adhesive left over.
You may be able to see an outline of where it used to be though. Not sure how to help that. People on here have good results with claybar on water spots etc, that may help.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Teching In

has anyone ever had the vinyl on their windshield and taken it off? anyone else PLEASE???
Old 02-24-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Use a razor blade to scrape it off. IF there is any outlines or residue left... try a light solvent (even gasoline). Be sure not to get the solvent on the windshield molding or it might discolor it. If that doesn't work... go to a body shop and ask them if they have some steel wool used to remove overspray from glass you can borrow.

Most likely, you won't even need to do step 2 or 3.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:42 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heat it up with a hair dryer and it will peel right off. The use some window cleaner and 0000 steel wool to get rid of any residue.

You can get 0000 steel wool at any home improvement store.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

It's not on my f-body, but on my intrepid I had a decal on the back window, was there for about 1 1/2 years and I decided to take it off, you could still see it ( I haven't washed it by hand yet ) but then I took some rubbing alcohol to it and it went away.. Every once and a while when the sun hit's it just right I can still see a faint outline of it.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:42 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tech
Use a razor blade to scrape it off. IF there is any outlines or residue left... try a light solvent (even gasoline). Be sure not to get the solvent on the windshield molding or it might discolor it. If that doesn't work... go to a body shop and ask them if they have some steel wool used to remove overspray from glass you can borrow.

Most likely, you won't even need to do step 2 or 3.
'Goo Gone' rules for removing leftover adhesive gunk

Quick Reply: vinyl windshield removal