Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump LOCKED UP!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Water Pump LOCKED UP!?!

Anybody ever had their water pump lock up on them?

Mine did, I cranked it up to leave work on Friday, and it went dead as soon as it cranked. I thought "Hmmm, thats funny, that's never happened before", and I cranked it again. This time it idled, although it was struggling to keep running, and after only a few seconds, it went dead again, but I could hear a "Chinging" sound, so I popped the hood and smelled burning rubber and saw little specs of black rubber all over the PS pump and inner fenders. The belt still looked fine (no visible shredding or breaks) so I left the hood up and cranked it again, this time I idled just fine, so I stepped out and looked under the hood while it was still running, when that "ching ching ching" started again. I noticed then that the water pump pulley was starting-stopping-starting-stopping really quickly, in rythym with the chinging sound, then it stopped, altogether and very quickly, the car stopped running too.

Problem located, new pump on the way, hopefully back up and running wednesday or so.

Just thought I'd share my story, anybody know of and special tools or anything strange to expect when changing pumps tomorrow?

Thanks,
Taco
Old 03-14-2005, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

its easy to change...no biggie.. just get new gaskets and fresh coolant
Old 03-14-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Sounds like the bearings siezed, that happened on the altenator in my old car a couple years ago. Kept stalling the engine. Yup, install is pretty easy, new pump and 2 gaskets, remove 6 bolts and put the new one in.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Should I change the belt too? It's pretty new, but I'd hate to lose it a few months down the road because of it being damaged, even though it's not showing up now.

Opinions???

Thanks for the help fellas!
Taco
Old 03-14-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

I'd change the belt. From the sounds of it, you lost some rubber off of it. Also, be sure to have some Gasket remover handy. I used Permatex. It was hell getting the gasket to come off the old pump with just a scraper. I spent 3 hours on it before I gave up. Came back the next day with the remover and it loosened it right up. Save yourself some work.

Good to see you again, Taco. Haven't heard anything from your neck of the woods since you left the BFBA board. How things going?
Old 03-15-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey man, thanks for the pointers!

I just don't really have time for the car club scene these days, I'm married and have a 2 year old little boy, so that is where just about every spare second I have goes these days. I wish I still had time to come down there and hang out with you guys, I really enjoyed the few events I did get to attend (well, really only 2, but they were fun nonetheless).

How is everybody down there? Is Kristi Hallman (sp?) still the dictat... I mean ruling entity of the BFBA these days?

Take care, keep in touch.

Taco
Old 03-15-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

Man, I don't blame you. You've got a lot on your plate. It's Kristi Payne now. She's still around but she's doing a lot of other things right now so she only stops by to chat every now and again. I'm not sure if she's on this board or not but her husband probably is. The BFBA is doing alright. It's still more of a show than a go club, but most of the members seem to like it. There will probably be a number of us at the Gathering if you can make it out. There's also a show coming up. If you think you have some free time coming up, check the link in my sig and come on down. Heh, also if you see Peck, get my mini Leatherman back! LoL
Old 03-16-2005, 01:54 AM
Staging Lane

Taco, How many miles does your '99 have on it? (just curious)
Old 03-16-2005, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Wow that sucks, atleast it was an easy fix.

Quick Reply: Water Pump LOCKED UP!?!