Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

bearing cap question/ta girdle

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bearing cap question/ta girdle

I'll keep this brief...
Car is a4 10 bolt 2800 stall, torque arm etc. motor basically stock
Changed diff fluid. Reinstalled ta cover.

During install, when i went to set preload on girdle studs, I set one side correctly (snug by fingers - then to 5 ft/lbs.)

Second side(driver side) i couldn't feel torque wrench because as it clicked ever so softly, the wrench handle was hitting the pan hard bar.

I caught myself, cussed for ten minutes, then backed it out and retorqued.

By looking at the other side, I have about one thread more showing so I estimate about half a turn more than spec.

How much margin for error is there when setting the preload on a girdle stud like mine? Not trying to be ****, but man, the thought of having to pull the damn thing apart to replace the bearing just pisses me off. OF COURSE REBUILDING THE REAR END WOULD **** ME OFF MORE.
If it blows, i'll blame myself and not the 10 bolt...
How would I know if i crushed the bearing beneath the cap?
I always have a little whine from the after market 3.42's anyways even with redline brand lube -So what should i listen for if the bearing starts to go?
Thanks as always,
Old 03-16-2005, 12:29 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by DEESNUTS
I'll keep this brief...
Car is a4 10 bolt 2800 stall, torque arm etc. motor basically stock
Changed diff fluid. Reinstalled ta cover.

During install, when i went to set preload on girdle studs, I set one side correctly (snug by fingers - then to 5 ft/lbs.)

Second side(driver side) i couldn't feel torque wrench because as it clicked ever so softly, the wrench handle was hitting the pan hard bar.

I caught myself, cussed for ten minutes, then backed it out and retorqued.

By looking at the other side, I have about one thread more showing so I estimate about half a turn more than spec.

How much margin for error is there when setting the preload on a girdle stud like mine? Not trying to be ****, but man, the thought of having to pull the damn thing apart to replace the bearing just pisses me off. OF COURSE REBUILDING THE REAR END WOULD **** ME OFF MORE.
If it blows, i'll blame myself and not the 10 bolt...
How would I know if i crushed the bearing beneath the cap?
I always have a little whine from the after market 3.42's anyways even with redline brand lube -So what should i listen for if the bearing starts to go?
Thanks as always,
You didn't undo any of the main caps and the studs are different heigths? I would double check the bolts on the mains just to be sure.
I work on one of the lines that cut the center section at AAM and I have ever seen two different cap mounting distances. My tollerences for that are + - 150 microns, also known as .006 thousands. So the load bolts on the caps should be the same heigth.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Let me get this straight, you just over torqued the preload bolt by about half a turn? Then you corrected it, and all this without moving the car? If this is right, then I really would not worry about crushing a bearing. I would think it would take a lot of torque to damage a bearing with the preload bolts (without moving the car), and even then you'd probably strip the threads on the cover/bolt before damaging a bearing. Torque it down correctly and you should be fine.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1BAD86Z28
You didn't undo any of the main caps and the studs are different heigths? I would double check the bolts on the mains just to be sure.
I work on one of the lines that cut the center section at AAM and I have ever seen two different cap mounting distances. My tollerences for that are + - 150 microns, also known as .006 thousands. So the load bolts on the caps should be the same heigth.
Thats the heart of my question.
The stud that i torqued correctly is actually flush with the lock nut.
The stud that i backed out and retorqued was probably slightly crushing the bearing cap, so i backed it out and set it snug and that was it to allow for any possible expansion due to heat. I didnt want to "freeze" the bearing. I purposely left it out a bit. What I'm interested to know is how forgiving that bearing is if I possibly overtorqued by half a turn.
I guess I wasn't thinking about it correctly when i posted. I forgot I backed the stud out. The caps are torques corrrectly, im just not sure what to listen for if i crushed the bearing a little, or if it a half turn on a torquw wrench (fighting the internal resistance of the wrench) really matters.
Say i torqued to 7 or 8 ft/lbs, would that be enought to crush the bearing?
I'm sure im not the first idiot to over tighten a girdle stud...But i didnt do it by much. HOW MUCH IS TO MUCH?
Thanks!
Old 03-16-2005, 12:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Krab
Let me get this straight, you just over torqued the preload bolt by about half a turn? Then you corrected it, and all this without moving the car? If this is right, then I really would not worry about crushing a bearing. I would think it would take a lot of torque to damage a bearing with the preload bolts (without moving the car), and even then you'd probably strip the threads on the cover/bolt before damaging a bearing. Torque it down correctly and you should be fine.
I know, I know, I feel i'm being ****, but everything says "BE VERY CAREFULL NOT TO OVERTIGHTEN THE PRELOAD STUDS"
And because T/A performance lists 5 ft/lbs as the proper tq value, not 5-10 ft/lbs i was upset with myself.
If it took 25 ft/lbs to screw it up, i know im safe.
What idiot would ever crank on the wrench till the veins in his eyes were popping anyways?
Hell, half the yo-yo's putting these on dont even have a torque wrench, much less one that goes down to 5 ft/lbs. And know that i think about it, T/A says 60 inch pounds. If they did, they couldn't do the math either.
Still, 5 ft/lbs is like nothing as far as torque so per thier specs, i was worried.

Last edited by DEESNUTS; 03-16-2005 at 12:59 AM.