Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

some basic question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 05:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some basic question

sup guys. i'm sure these questions have been asked many times. but i'm thinkin about getting a z28 here soon. just was wondering. i pretty much just wanna put a cam in it..and it'll prolly stay cam only for a while. can both the auto and 6-speed trannies hold up ok to that? and can the rear end also hold up to that? for reference i won't ever be running slicks...pretty much just always street tires..so i won't grip very well when i do race it.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:46 AM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

You should be fine. I have seen both handle a lot more power than what you will be making. Remember that there is always a chance tho. On rare occasions, I have seen rear ends go out on stock cars. Just depends.
The best advice one can give here is that you should be prepared to fix things. Once you start modding, things will break eventually. always have some money set aside and be prepared for the worst.
For the record, i am still running the stock 6 speed. I have some hard launches on the bottle. see sig for numbers. I have money set aside for a fix and i am fully aware that i am on borrowed time. As far as the rear end goes, my stocker gave out within a month of my h/c going on. And this was with stock tires!
Good luck.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either one will handle it fine, but there are things you must realize. You will need supporting mods to get any real cam, have it run correctly and make decent power. Headers are a must-have, a few other bolt-ons will give a great bang for the buck, and an automatic will need a torque converter swap. As for the A4 vs M6 debate (which has been discussed to GREAT length), this is what it boils down to:

M6: More involving/funner to drive, requires more skill to get good with, better from a roll, better gas mileage on the interstate.

A4: Awsome from a dig when you get a converter, easier on the rear, less likely to have been beat on in terms of buying a used car.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Tranny yes, rearend who knows? Depends. Some rears last through a lot some break on stock cars. If you put drag radials on ten you with surely lessen the odds of the rear lasting.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:15 AM
Staging Lane

cool thanx guys. it was mainly the rear end that i was wondering about. as far as dr's go. prolly never gonna happen either. i have no use payin 200 bucks per tire for something that prolly won't last me half the year hehe. i have done research on the rear ends n stuff. found a few rear diff's that seem nice. heard a couple of good things about the eaton posi unit. just not sure. it all depends on the kind of money i have to spend. if i don't get that far with the car and it stays stock..that's cool to. ls1's have plenty of kick stock to keep me pretty happy.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My $0.02: My drag radials are far from $200 a tire. Only ~$135, actually. I got 10,000 miles out of the last pair, easily, with almost none of those miles on the highway/interstate. The fact is that if you want to make any kind of power (or have a converter in an A4, gears in an M6, etc) you will need a drag radial in order to do anything with it. Either that or a very good, expensive standard radial. I know the idea of spending a relatively large amount of money on tires isn't very appealing, especially since it will have to be done relatively often, but IMO it is not worth it to put money into the car, get more power, and not be able to use it.