PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Running Rich at Idle Question??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking Running Rich at Idle Question??

Just installed a Torquer Cam two weeks ago and am trying to get it tuned. It does idle OK most of the time but I noticed my gas mileage droppped from 16-17 to 11-12. I also noticed gas coming out the tail pipes. What do I need to change to stop this gas from coming out the exhaust? My Ltrims are almost all negative. My O2 AFR at WOT is 12.4 which I know is still rich. I am having to let the car warm up more since the cam install so it does have to idle longer.

I am also going to remove my High Flow Cats this weekend.

I am going to get a WB soon.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 03-20-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Talking

I removed the CATS yesterday. I played around with the tuning a little but still need help. Sometimes I floor it and nothing happens- it just bogs. Other times it runs great. Anyone have a tune with a torquer and an A4 they would like to share? I have LS1Edit but just started using FlashScan..

Thanks,
Bill
Old 03-21-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, the wonderful world of modification. Mine is a 6 speed and smells like I drove off with the gas pump in!! I've brought it back to my tuner guy and it has never gotten better. There is a post on here about it, although way more technical than I can understand, that seems to point to tuning. And I thought putting hiflow cats on would help. I thank you for this post.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

It's a common problem with a big cam and headers. What you need to do is get your exhaust system sealed up very, very well; any fresh air that leaks in there throws off the 02 sensors. The other thing is ditch your stock O2's for a set of Corvette rear O2s. They are hotter. These two things cleaned up my exhuast pretty well. You can try tuning the VE as well. I think the part number for the O2's is Bosch 13111. They are expensive, but well worth it.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i would think you need to move your map settings up 10 in the diagnostics portion of hptuners both min and max...the tranny is probably getting confused...thats number one...as far as getting your gas mileage in line imo it will be hard with having the computer control whats going on. If I were you I'd probably end up doing a speed density or open loop tune for all points and be done with it.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Talking

Originally Posted by Cal
It's a common problem with a big cam and headers. What you need to do is get your exhaust system sealed up very, very well; any fresh air that leaks in there throws off the 02 sensors. The other thing is ditch your stock O2's for a set of Corvette rear O2s. They are hotter. These two things cleaned up my exhuast pretty well. You can try tuning the VE as well. I think the part number for the O2's is Bosch 13111. They are expensive, but well worth it.
I already have the 13111 O2's. I also am running a VE table that wait4me sent me. I do need to check my exhaust.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 03-22-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Talking

Originally Posted by foff667
i would think you need to move your map settings up 10 in the diagnostics portion of hptuners both min and max...the tranny is probably getting confused...thats number one...as far as getting your gas mileage in line imo it will be hard with having the computer control whats going on. If I were you I'd probably end up doing a speed density or open loop tune for all points and be done with it.
I am using either LS1Edit or FlashScan. I like FlashScan better. Are you talking about MAP Rationality Test RPM High and Low or are you taliking about the MAP Sensor Scaler-Offset? My scaler is set at 94.4 and the offset is set to 10.
Thanks,
Bill