Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

timing problem after TH400 install

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 10:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default timing problem after TH400 install

I am having a weird timing problem after swapping my A4 to TH400. I used to have 28.5 degrees at WOT and it showed such on logs. Went to TH400, but didn't use a speed sensor as the car is pretty much a race car and I didn't need the speedo. Others say they have done it and it worked.

Now at WOT, I start off at 28.5, but when I shift into 2nd, it drops in steps to around 16, and when I shift into 3rd, it drops to 10.5 and stays there through the traps.

The only place I can find numbers like that are in the base spark tables. My TPS is showing 100%, so I don't see how it could be forcing me there even if it sees vss as zero. I do have a neutral safety switch, and it is hooked into the factory harness, so it knows when I am in park or not.

Today, I hooked up the speed sensor to the old ABS sensor on the rear wheel. By playing with the gear/tire ratio, I actually got it to read pretty close to actual speed, although it seems a little erratic at times. I can't tell for sure if it helps the timing on a full WOT run cause it started to rain. It does seem like it held timing slightly better for the short blast I tried.

Any idea how I am seeing such low timing at WOT with no KR?? Any input would be appreciated. I'll probably end up getting the proper vss conversion parts to do it right - just hope that it is not something else and the $200 will be for not.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get your PCM converted to an M6 version. Seen it before and not sure why but this was Carputings solution and it worked.