Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Why take slicks over drag radials

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why take slicks over drag radials

I planned on buying a set of mickey thompson et streets in the near future and I started wondering. I've seen plenty of pictures and videos of cars with bf goodrich and m/t drag radials popping wheelies off the line. If that type of traction is available with drag radials, what would be the point in getting a full slick if a radial can do just as good a job?
Old 03-22-2005, 10:17 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

The cars you see running drag radials like that are typically lightweight all-out drag cars. Some of them even run a complex drag racing traction control system, or stepped power adders that are finely tuned to ride the edge of traction.

You rarely will find a heavy, daily-driver running as good and consistent on drag radials compared to an actual slick. Even the ET Street cannot compare to an actual drag slick.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i guess i'd be better off getting the et streets
Old 03-23-2005, 08:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest always choosing either ET streets or ET drags. There's a large advantage from a weight standpoint when using an ET street or ET drag over a drag radial.

The lower your polar moment of inertia, the less HP loss you will have.

Another benifit for the drags/streets are matching front runners are available unlike with radials. Many guys use radial VW tires to match their radial rears though they are not speed rated for what our cars are easily capable of running.

I haven't heard any issues, but tires are rated for a reason...they are found to fail above the specified safe ratings.

Steve