Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

general fuel injector question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default general fuel injector question

Car is a 1988 Trans Am GTA ( OK so it is not an LS1). When I installed a new 350 ( about 3 years ago) I installed brand new fuel injectors. Car ran fine, but I only drive it about 5,000 miles a year. I change the filter annually, and when I put it up for the winter, I add Lucas fuel conditioner and Stabil to a fresh tank of 92 octane gas. I then run it once and a while, while it is in storage. Car is kept in a heated garage. I noticed that I am using a lot of fuel this winter, much more than normal. I did a pressure test and it went right up to 44 llbs, but it dropped off immedialtely upon shutting off the pump. I used the shop manual leak down test and it indicated that the injectors were not closing properly. I used a fuel rail mounted cleaning system and things cleared up, pressure now holds for abot 20 minutes with pump off. So what went wrong? I add the Lucas conditioner several times during the driving season. Is it just that todays gas is so bad that it wont last during storage/low usage? There has been plenty of fuel sytem cleaner added to the tank, so I doubt that I have crud built up in the tank. I plan to remove the tank and replace the fuel pump(getting noisey), so I will be checking for gunk in the tank. Any other ideas?

Last edited by george88gta; 03-25-2005 at 10:24 AM. Reason: typo