Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

grinding noise from rear end

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding noise from rear end

i just had a used rear put in my car 89 firebird 305 V8

but fortunately i found a used one had it put on for 250 (total) (i guess he put on a 2.38 or something , but it is back to normal that is 80miles to 2000rpm.
i have started hearing funny noises(like some thing rubbing (metal)together it would happen at low speed but as soon as i let off gas it goes away and comes on as soon as i step on gas and while braking , can it be the brakes but the noise is coming from the back(i have drum brakes in the back)
i think show it back to guy who fixed as he told to me to back to have the oil change in the rear

i dunno what it is
any one with some suggestion
Old 03-28-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

sounds like the gears.......my rearend would make noise when I gave it gas but would go quiet when I let off......
Old 03-30-2005, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
sounds like the gears.......my rearend would make noise when I gave it gas but would go quiet when I let off......
so does that mean this one is a bad one
Old 03-30-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

yes, mine did it too and now i have to replace the gears and the carrier...u have like a month or so left i belive thats how long it took for mine to go..i would see if the carrier is ok first, if it is then u just need to buy new gears and have them put in..which also isnt too cheap
Old 04-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mcowart
yes, mine did it too and now i have to replace the gears and the carrier...u have like a month or so left i belive thats how long it took for mine to go..i would see if the carrier is ok first, if it is then u just need to buy new gears and have them put in..which also isnt too cheap
thnx, i will look into it, but definetly a lot of money and this is the third rear end change

say how much would a new one cost?