Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Phantom SES light

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phantom SES light

Has anyone had a SES come on for no reason? I always get the same code: air injector malfunction, bank 2, sensor 2. When I take it to get serviced, not scanned at a AutoZone, they tell me they can't find anything wrong with it. Since wasting $72, I've just been reflashing the PCM, but it keeps coming back. I just wonder if there is something wrong that hasn't been found yet. Any guesses?
Old 03-30-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

An AIR pump is used on this vehicle to lower tail pipe emissions on start-up. The PCM supplies a ground to the AIR pump relay, which energizes the AIR pump.

The PCM monitors the HO2S voltages to diagnose the AIR system.

During the AIR test the PCM activates the AIR pump during closed loop operation. When the AIR is activated, the PCM monitors the HO2S voltages and short term fuel trim values for both banks of the engine. If the AIR system is operating properly, the HO2S voltages should go low and the short term fuel trim should go high.

If the PCM determines that the HO2S voltages for both banks did not respond as expected during the tests, DTC P0410 sets. If only one sensor responded, the PCM sets either a DTC P1415 or P1416 to indicate on which bank the AIR system is inoperative.

Conditions for Running the DTC

Engine run time is more than 20 seconds after closed loop operation.
Engine speed is more than 850 RPM.
Maximum air flow is 22 g/s.
ECT is between 66°C (151°F) and 120°C (248°F).
IAT is more than -10°C (14°F).
Ignition voltage is more than 11.7 volts.
Engine load is less than 30 percent.
The air fuel ratio is 14.7:1
Not operating in power enrichment mode OR deceleration fuel cut-off mode.
In short term Fuel Trim cells 1, 2, 5 or 20.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
HO2S voltage does not go below 222 mV for 0.9 seconds, when the AIR pump turns ON during closed loop operation.
The short term fuel trim does not change more than a predetermined value, when the AIR pump turns ON during closed loop operation

The PCM illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
The PCM records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the PCM stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the PCM records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The PCM writes the conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.

You probably just need to replace your check valve..
Old 03-31-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the info. I am completely clueless about the emissions system, what is a "check valve"? Can I replace it myself?
Old 03-31-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails Phantom SES light-check-valve.gif  
Old 05-06-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Update: replaced the bank 2 check valve, now got a 1415 code for the driver side check valve. I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same thing happened to a friend of mine - if one of mine clogs I'm going to pull the AIR system.