Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got td's and drone and a tinny hollow sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 03:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just got td's and drone and a tinny hollow sound

I just finished up my Hooker lt install the other day and went and got a set of td's with an H and dynomax bullets dumped before the axle. On the way to the exhaust shop I got to experience driving open lt headers, let's just say I got some looks.

The turndowns are pointed about 45* torwards the rear tires. When we first fired it up it sounded great. Drove it home and noticed a little drone at 1,500-2,000rpm. I drove around for the day and now it's got a lot of drone at 1,500-2,000rpm and now it always produces a tinny hollow sound (if that makes sence) over the exhaust note it makes.

The only thing I can think of is the exhaust is breaking in? Breaking in as in the fibers in the muffler, computer needs to adjust, or something like that. I know it sounds weird but when I first installed my Magnaflow catback before the lt's it sounded awsome. Then at the end of the day it sounded almost stock. Then a few days later it went almost all the way back to how it sounded when I first installed it.

Any ideas? I thought about putting high flow cats in but I'm not sure where they could fit and I don't want to cut up my new $300 exhaust.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dunno what to say dude....did you check to see if all the hangars were still on properly? I've had my "dynomouth" exhaust for a couple years now, and it sounds the same as when I first got it.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimes
I dunno what to say dude....did you check to see if all the hangars were still on properly? I've had my "dynomouth" exhaust for a couple years now, and it sounds the same as when I first got it.
Everything is just how it should be. I'll drive it around for a bit and hopefully it'll be just like my magnaflow. If it doesn't get better I'll have to try something.

I would imagine the drone comes from the bullets vibrating? I wonder if there is something I could do to reduce the vibrations. Like wrap it in header wrap? Or maybe I'll try adding weight to the muffler. Like weld some strips of 1/4" to it or something.