Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Loud, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Too Loud, need advice.

Well, I got my car going for the year. I put in a cam, LS6 intake, QTP headers with a catted y-pipe. I also added the quad tip CME (center mount exhaust).

Anyways I am very pleased with the power but it ended up louder than I wanted it. I have a hooker cat back in there as well.

I went with the catted y to keep the sound and rasp down.

I figure I have 2 options. Put in a quieter muffler or add two small chambered or bullet mufflers to the tailpipes.

I don't think I have room for a muffler after the merge collector.

Questions:

Did adding the CME make it louder??

Is the quad tip CME louder than the dual?

Has anyone had experience adding small bullet mufflers to the tailpipes??

I am thinking that a short (12") pair of chambered mufflers in the tailpipes would quiet it down and sound really good.

I would prefer not to replace the hooker muffler if I can. I loved the way it sounded before.

Unfortunately since I did all of this at once I don't know what changed the sound which way. I was hoping thet the CME would make it quieter as I assumed that the car would be louder with headers.

Thanks!!
Old 04-03-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know theres not much room in the I pipe between the 4-3 inch reducer and the over the axle bend but try and see if you can fit a bullet or some other type of muffler in there, heard that helps out alot of guys when it comes to quieting down their ORY. with the cats and hooker muffler its still to loud? sounds like a perfect setup to me
Old 04-03-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

***SLP DUAL/DUAL***

It's the factory 3" cat-back system that many of the LS1 SS's came with (several of which that already had the CME hooked up to it). You can usually find it for cheap ($200ish used) off the boards and it will hook up just fine to your existing CME. Not sure if you could just your current muffler out and swap in the dual/dual muffler due to size differences, so that is why I suggested just swapping the cat-backs for each since it's cheap and I know it will work just fine with the CME...

Trust me when I say it is factory quiet at idle, cruise, and only a little louder at WOT. It is also surprising tame with all of those mods you listed above. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for if the "fairly quiet" Hooker is too loud for ya...

Mike
Old 04-03-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

The dual dual muffler may be the ticket, but I was thinking it may be easier to add bullets to the tailpipes.

Has anyone else done this??