Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A post for my friend 98 Snake Skinner

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A post for my friend 98 Snake Skinner

Most of the streetability of a huge cam is in the tune Todd. Some people run Thunder racings "TRex" and the TSP Magic Stick on the street, but I'm sure the tune makes them able for street duty, but how streetable is the question. The larger you go in duration and lift the higher up in the RPM range you move your power band. I think that you have to decide how you want your car to end up with this upgrade....street car or drag car. Street cars are best with smaller duration cams like a TR224 112LSA that have huge amounts of torque under the curve.

This graph is on a stock heads LS1 with only bolt ons and a TR224 112LSA cam install. Look at the massive amounts of torque under the curve (low to mid RPM range). The perfect cam for a street car as you want your power in the "daily useable" rpm range. This is why your car with a smaller 220 cam was so potent on the street. It may not have had awesome large numbers on the dyno, but if you look in the low RPM range on the dyno sheet your torque was excellent under the curve. This graph is a before and after visual. Stock vs. Cam and all bolt ons.

The next graph compares the cam above to some larger cams. Notice how the larger cams lose the low to mid rpm torque, but gain on the high rpm torque and horsepower. That's why your larger cams are best suited for the track. They shine in the high rpm range and produce more HP and TQ numbers there. Since the strip always yields the high rpm situation like when you launch that high these cams are already in there "powerband" from the tree.

Green line - TR224/224 .563/.563 112LSA cam
Red line - Futral FM13 230/232 .595/.585 112LSA
Blue line - LMP G5X2 232/240 .595/.608 112LSA

As you go bigger in cam specs the area where your cam produces power moves higher in the RPM range Todd. ALWAYS select a cam that matches well with the stall speed and heads setup in your Camaro. Find others who run your stall and setup to see what cam works for them.

Both dyno graphs above were on stock heads LS1s with only bolt ons and cam.

Quick Reply: A post for my friend 98 Snake Skinner