Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

think I took out my posi unit today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 12:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default think I took out my posi unit today...

Went to the track today and on my first and only run I think I hosed the posi unit. When I launched I basically spun through 1st and most of 2nd. I had to back all the way out of the throttle to get it to stop spinning then got back into it and it was spinning again, on drag radials. I then just coasted to a whopping 16 sec quarter time . After I got my slip and pulled over I noticed that the passenger rear tire was the one spinning because it slung **** down the quarter but the drivers side was clean as a whistle which makes me think it never spun at all. Is there any way to tell 100% for sure the posi is out other than going out and doing a burn out? If I lift the car and spin one wheel the other should spin also right? I'm pretty sure it's hosed but would like to make sure before ordering a new rear.
Also, if the posi is out do you think it would still be driveable until I get new rear in there? I'm looking at probably a month easy if I order it tomorrow which ain't happening so if it takes me a couple weeks to order then a month or more to get it that means my whole summer is without the car and it stays garaged for the winter so I'm possibly looking at a year gone on the first trip out to the track. If I can limp it around one legged until I get a new rear in there that would be better than nothing I guess.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:56 AM
11 Second Club

If your going to get a new rear I woulnd worry about ****** it up anymore. Id drive it and wee what it does. What kinda rear are you going with?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Launching!

Probably a Strange 12 bolt but I'll research before deciding on one. I've heard good things from Strange and Moser but I know more people with Strange.