Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Decelaration noise after ds reinstall

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 02:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Decelaration noise after ds reinstall

I swapped out the stall converter and pinion seal recently and ever since then I have a noise on deceleration coming from the drive shaft. I did
not notice this right after the converter install, but the next day after the pinion seal I noticed it. Anyone know what would cause this?
Old 04-11-2005, 02:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 04-11-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its probably the gears whining, maybe when the pinion seal was replaced the nut was tightened too tight.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted on this same problem about a month ago. The problem was the pinion nut was not tight enough. I could grab the pinion yoke and move it up and down what felt like about 0.020-0.030". There should be no play at all. I tightened the pinion nut with a heavy-duty impact gun. It ended up turning the nut about 1/6 of a turn till the pinion felt tight (no play). After doing this my car's decel whine was reduced by 50% or more. Unfortunately this car had been driven with the pinion nut loose for a while, so I think the gears may have taken a slightly new set and the pinion bearings may have been damaged some. They still whine, but not as loud as before. Hopefully you can fix yours before any permanent damage occurs.

I suggest searching for my post on this problem to read the more detailed write-up on how I went about tightening the pinion.

Good luck!

The whining in my car started after a pinion seal change by the former owner (or someone he had do it). Apparently they did not mark the nut and pinion shaft end so they could tighten it back where it should be after putting in the new pinion seal...

BTW -- the reason for the whine: during acceleration, the pinion is driven towards the engine, so the bearings are driven into their tapered races = no whine. During decel, the pinion is sucked in towards the rear bumper, changing the gear tooth engagement with the ring gear, and a whine noise is produced. If the pinion nut is tight like it should be, the pinion will not move and no noise from bad gear engagement.

Last edited by More power!; 04-11-2005 at 06:28 PM.