Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker arm question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rocker arm question

Ok.. Ihave decided to go with a solid roller set up and have a question about rocker arms.

I am under the impression you don't "need" adjustable rockers so long as you have the right length pushrod and you can set lash on your rocker.

I have a set of Harlan Sharp Rockers from my old build.

If I went with a set of ARP rocker studs ARP-134-7201 (8mm x 1.25 pitch on bottom, 3/8 top thread)
A set of 3/8 polly locks
5/16 guide plates

Would I be good to go using custom length push rods? Or do I "have to have" an adjustable rocker?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:56 PM
FormerVendor

You need adjustable rockers.

The engine grows, the seats pound, the valve stretches, and there are inconsistencies among all 16.

We can set lash where we want it hot, run a 20 minute session, and lash will need to be checked again.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would you set the lash on the rocker without them being adjustable? I would say you definitely need a set of adjustable rockers for a solid roller setup.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:09 AM

You can set lash with on the rocker rocker is you use a stud and poly locks like mentioned.

Louis, I see you point. I really think I should belly up and just buy the adjustables More money than I really wanted to spend right now, but oh well.. Better safe than sorry.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How are you going to find a lash setting that compensates for the .012" in growth of the block and heads (aluminum) compared to the steel pushrods and lifters? You are going to have to set a very tight lash cold and hope you don't lose too much power as the duration drops with the lash increase from the warm engine. Talk about unstable idle quality!! And that doesn't even begin to address valve train noise!!! Good luck. Let us know how it works out!!
Old 04-13-2005, 12:03 AM

QuietTahoe,

I am going to belly up to the bar and buy the adjustables but, SBC guys do this all the time.. I know of 3 different guys running solid rollers in SBC where they just adjust for lash. Meassure for the pushrod, adjust lash at -.012 cold (For all. block and all. heads) -.006 (all. heads / iron block) -.002 (iron heads/block). Then readjust lash once warm.