Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Car Shut Down After 43 Mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car Shut Down After 43 Mph

I have a 98 Z28 A4 113K with LT headers, 160 thermostat, bolt-ons. When I was driving it today, the car shut off at 43 mph, it sounded like it wanted to go the next gear but I lost power steering and it shutted down and egg smell came with it. The check gauge light came on. It was sitting for 2-3 weeks without me starting it because of the winter. I did a compression test on it 3 weeks ago and I removed the primary conectors but I dont think I disabled the fuel chip. Im plannning to get AFR205s, F13 cam, Ls6 intake, GMMG this week. I am wondering if it could be the fuel pump or regulator. I have to check the fuel pressure too. Do you think I should install new fuel pump for piece of mind

Thanks
Old 04-13-2005, 05:21 AM
TECH Regular

befor doing more mods, get the thing running. check all elestrial connections near where you were working. check fuses for the injector circut. turn the key to on pos and have some one lision to the gas tank for around 5 seconds to see if they hear the pfuel pump turn on. if so, it at least works. just a few things to check. Good luck....
Old 04-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

With those headers do you have cats still on ? The egg smell may mean a bad or clogged cat. I would also scan it for codes
Old 04-13-2005, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MR1911
With those headers do you have cats still on ? The egg smell may mean a bad or clogged cat. I would also scan it for codes

I have cats on them, the cats were recently installed
Old 04-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

How recently? did you get a tune after the LT's? , after install some of are cars run pig rich ,which could be a problem .Not saying this is it, just something not to rule out because the cats are new,I had a cat go bad right at start up after my LT's install but that one just disinegrated inside . Egg smell = bad cat most of the time .If you did get a tune say with HPT or edit, someone could be having fun with you and set you top speed at 43mph , just a thought
Old 04-13-2005, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MR1911
How recently? did you get a tune after the LT's? , after install some of are cars run pig rich ,which could be a problem .Not saying this is it, just something not to rule out because the cats are new,I had a cat go bad right at start up after my LT's install but that one just disinegrated inside . Egg smell = bad cat most of the time .If you did get a tune say with HPT or edit, someone could be having fun with you and set you top speed at 43mph , just a thought
The cats were installed 1,500-2000 miles ago without no tune, I figured I would tune after the other mods. Well I didnt start it for 2-3 weeks and I had the same gas in it when I stored it which 4 months ago