Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM six-speed automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post GM six-speed automatic transmission

I had seen a thread about this transmission before in this forum and I just read an article on popular hot rodding about it so I thought I might share.

GM Powertrain has unveiled an all-new family of Hydra-Matic rear wheel drive six-speed automatic transmissions designed to deliver new levels of performance and efficiency for GM products trought the world.

The new six-speed automatic transmissions family is comprised of four distinct variants developed and built to advance Hydra-Matic's 65-year tradition of building world class automatic transmissions. Introduction of this new transmission family marks the beginning of a GM initiative to produce nearly one million six-speed transmissions anually by 2008.

The new six-speed automatic incorporates the most advanced tecnology Hydra-Matic has ever packed into an automatic transmission. The modular design, facilitates applications across a broad range of vehicle architectures-from RWD cars to four-and all-wheel-drive-pickups, SUV's and crossover vehicles. Modular construction also enables an easy plug-and-play approach to delivering features and hardware for specific vehicles.

The new six-speed automatic is set to make it's first appearence in the supercharged 2006 Cadillac STS-V and eventually it will find it's way into as many as 25 vehicle models by 2007.

The new gearbox will have a generous 6.04:01 overall ratio that will allow for a "steep" first gear ratio. This will help todeliver strong launch acceleration, yet will also provide for "tall" overdrive ratios that will decreaseengine RPM and enhance fuel economy. GM engineers estimate the wideratio spread will help cut 0-60 mph times by as much as 7 percent when compared to current four and five-speed automatics. Better performance and better milage? We are sure these new six-speeds will quickly find their way into a g-Machine.

Hope this helps some of you who are looking for a better transmission than the factory one but wan't to keep your oerdrive.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

I'm SO getting one of these when I can ( if they aren't a small fortune ).
Old 04-14-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

It will be interesting to see what kind of editing of the PCM's OS will be required to swap one of these in.