Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing spark plug question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 09:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing spark plug question

I changed my spark plugs when i put my headers on at it was easy *** hell. But i now put nitrous on my car and am chagin to tr-6 so any tips or help to make this go easier? It doesnt look the easy when i pop the hood thanks in advance
Old 04-20-2005, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take off the coil packs on the passenger side and it goes pretty easy. It's a little easier for me to put the plug wires back on the coil packs (#6 and#8) before bolting the rack back on.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

Installuniversity has a nice writeup. Don't know about a car with headers, but a car without is not all that bad. The drivers side is straight forward, all plugs can be done from up top without removing any coil packs or the AIR tube. The passenger side isn't that difficult if you have patience. Start by removing the AIR tube on the passenger side. Next, remove all plug wires as they will get in the way. #2,4,6 can be done from up top. People say that it makes it easier to remove the coil pack.....all I do is remove one bolt out of the coil pack that stabs me in the arm otherwise <think it's above #4>. I found #8 to be easiest from the bottom. Just snake your arm between the catalytic converter and the floor board and you'll be able to get to #8 just fine. Don't know what headers would add to the equation, but my last plug change was done in a little over an hour.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headers make it easier for sure. I know what you mean.........you pop the hood and it's like ****, how am I gonna get to those things. Do the pass side first so the hard part will be over. I have small arms and can do the whole plug change from the top and leave EVERYTHING intact. I don't remove the coilpacks or anything. The driver side is a breeze. It's one of those things you just gotta start doing it, cause looking at it won't make it any better. You installed headers, so you won't have a problem with this, but having the AIR tubes off (and I wouldn't have that crap with headers anyway) will make it easier for sure. Just have confiidence and good luck!!!
Old 04-20-2005, 01:01 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
Headers make it easier for sure. I know what you mean.........you pop the hood and it's like ****, how am I gonna get to those things. Do the pass side first so the hard part will be over. I have small arms and can do the whole plug change from the top and leave EVERYTHING intact. I don't remove the coilpacks or anything. The driver side is a breeze. It's one of those things you just gotta start doing it, cause looking at it won't make it any better. You installed headers, so you won't have a problem with this, but having the AIR tubes off (and I wouldn't have that crap with headers anyway) will make it easier for sure. Just have confiidence and good luck!!!
where in ky you located?
Old 04-21-2005, 12:39 AM
11 Second Club

thanks guys i am goin to start toamrrow night when i get out of work so i can spray over the weekend thanks again!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Try this link out-
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/296918/9

The little tool I whittled up really made things alot easier for me. Also, you don't have to weld the thing up. A feller could just grind the bolt to press fit in the female part of the adapter. I change my plugs 3-4 times a year, basically before any dragstrip runs. Once you get the hang of it, it's fairly quick and easy procedure.