Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IAC Valve Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 05:15 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAC Valve Questions...

1. Why does the IAC get covered in carbon? It sits inside the TB and my EGR is capped off, but I have had to pull it out and wipe it off a few times now.

2. Is there a recommended way to clean and lubricate the piston?

3. When like new, should you push the piston in and pull it out, or only push it in? I can push mine in no problem, but pulling it out, cant do, I have to carefully pry it back to the extended position.

Charlie
Old 04-23-2005, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take a stab at these...

1) The IAC air passage is close to the line from the TB to the pass valve cover. Part of the "oily" air from the pass valve cover via that TB vent has got to be flowing through the IAC at low TB position/high air requirement states (such as cold idle or idle with A/C on). This "oily air" is probably mixing with any dust/particles that make it through the air filter causing the buildup on the IAC pintle. Just a guess, but there is a noticeable accumulation of crud there.

2) I just use WD-40 and a rag to occasionally clean it.

3) Dunno, it adjusts itself once installed. Never tried playing with the position too much.

Cheers,
Bad30th