Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big crank pulley problem. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big crank pulley problem. PLEASE HELP!!!!

I started my cam swap today. Everything was going pretty smoothly until I got to the crank pulley. The big bolt came out of the crank just fine so I installed the 3 arm puller and went to town. The pulley had come off a little bit then all of the sudden BANG the puller came off. I looked down hoping the puller was what had broken but unfortunately it was one of the lips off the inside circle on the pulley. I know I'll have to get a new pulley but can anyone tell me how in the hell to get this thing off now that there's only two spots for the puller to grab. Thanks in advance for your help guys.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rollinna65
I started my cam swap today. Everything was going pretty smoothly until I got to the crank pulley. The big bolt came out of the crank just fine so I installed the 3 arm puller and went to town. The pulley had come off a little bit then all of the sudden BANG the puller came off. I looked down hoping the puller was what had broken but unfortunately it was one of the lips off the inside circle on the pulley. I know I'll have to get a new pulley but can anyone tell me how in the hell to get this thing off now that there's only two spots for the puller to grab. Thanks in advance for your help guys.
I have done over 25 cam swaps and I promise you will still be able to remove the pully even though one of the ears broke off... just stand back and take a breath I know the puller lines up with all three ears but you can arrange it so you get 2 ears and can grab part of one of the "spokes" on the pully. It will work I promise(from experience) just take your time and make sure you square up the puller as best as you can. Now you dont have to replace the crank pully JUST because one of the ears broke off but it will make it harder to remove incase you need to do it again, but YOU should be installig a underdrive pully anyway and they come off with a old style of puller....