Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to know if I have an exhaust leak at header?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to know if I have an exhaust leak at header?

I recently installed kooks headers and the first side I tried to install bolts and hold up the header at the same time

Well, I stripped a couple on passanger side and could only get 5 of 6 bolts in (whether stripped or not). The one bolt that I could not get in was the last rear bolt on passanger side. These are new headers with new GM exhaust manifold gaskets.

How do I know if it is sealed good enough? Reason I am asking is because I have uneven fuel trims and my passanger side is all out of wack. How do I KNOW if it is leaking?

The drivers side I had help and all 6 went in fine. I know that side is sealed fine.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) You should hear a ticking sound.
2) You might be able to look at the header primaries and see which one(s) are leaking by telltale black streaks left on the head.
3) See if you can feel air coming out with your hand.
4) If you stripped bolts, then they are most likely leaking.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great!!

Alright, I know there are a couple of stripped header bolts on the side where I cannot get the rear bolt it to. I'm guessing if I try to remove or loosen the stripped bolts they might break! Would it be best (since a coouple are already stripped) to just try and force the rear bolt in and if it strips(which it will) oh well?

I think if I loosen all the bolts on that side that I might be able to get the rear one in without stripping. The problem is that the other bolts might break off if I try to loosen them.

Last edited by 99whitews6; 04-23-2005 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much power will you lose by having a leak at the headers, i only ask because i think i have the same problem