Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default clutch help

Ok I have a McLeod single disk with the kevlar/organic face. It hold fine on the street and when autoxing and it has a better feel then the stocker. My local track only treats the surface on points days, so on the wed or fri nights the car just spins the nittosand I get a 12.8 at 113. The car has a head/cam and longtubes and puts out 400+ at the wheels.
Now I go to the track on a points day to try to get a 60' that does not start with a 2. (my avg 60' is 2.2). On my 1st launch the car gently accelerates and the RPM is at 6000. This gives me a great 14.5 @99. The car reeks of clutch when I get back to the staging lanes. I try 2 more passes about 1hr apart with a gentle street launch and get a 12.9 at 112.
Now my questions are is the clutch shot? or is the car just too much for its holding power?
If it is gone what should I replace it with? I no longer have the stock flywheel as the McLeod comes with its own.
Also I have the McLeod adj master cyl installed with the drill mod, Will any other clutched requier me to swap that out ?
This clutch has about 5k miles and 50-75 runs on it and 10 autoxes.
Any suggestions?
Old 04-23-2005, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem with mine at the track... and mine is a lot newer than yours (less than 1k miles on it). I just don't think the material on the disk is good enough to hold hard launches and high rpm shifts.

I switched to a RAM Powergrip HD clutch, btw... we'll see how that does at the track on teh 29th. I should be in the high 11s, and I'm sure my clutch has been holding me back (run 12.1s now).