Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternator problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default alternator problems

after installing the NX switch panel and having the batter disconnected i started seeing this problem. i took it out last night and the volts wouldnt go above 6-7. as i drove it that number got lower and lower. i limped into a parking lot with it on zero and the car finally died on me. ive checked all grounds and disconnected the lines i juts recently ran(thinking they could have interfered in some way). i looked into the alternator swap and heard people breaking the small red wire when taking it out. well before i took mine out i noticed that it was broken off. im 90 percent sure it was already broken and that i didnt do it today...but like a dumbass i didnt have the alternator checked when it was off the car. i just soldered that wire back in place and put it all back together. didnt have any way to jump the car so i dont know if i fixed it, but would that wire being broken cause the problem i had? sorry for the long post
Old 04-24-2005, 02:16 PM
wrencher

Yes without the alternator regulator' fielded' it wont charge.
Did you convert it to an old 98 & down style?
Or do you have the OE PCM field/controlled set-up still then?
Old 04-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

i didnt do anything but solder a new wire in the existing clip. im just hoping that was the problem and that i didnt break it while looking for the problem. but like i said i hadnt taken the alternator out or anything so i dont think i could have broke it today. just saw the dangling red wire while browsing around. whats the 98 style?
Old 04-24-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

I had the same problem. I ended up buying a new Alt. pigtail from the local chevy dealer and had to run a new wire from the pcm to the new pigtail. My wire must have been broken somewhere in the loom.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Slow 346
I had the same problem. I ended up buying a new Alt. pigtail from the local chevy dealer and had to run a new wire from the pcm to the new pigtail. My wire must have been broken somewhere in the loom.
well somehow mine got broken about 3 inches from the clip. i ripped it all the way out from the clip and soldered a new one in. got to jump the car last night and it works great. it made my day when i found out i wasnt going to need to spend 130 bucks