Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie spark plug question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newbie spark plug question

I did some searching but I'd just like a little peace of mind. I changed the plugs a couple weekends back after running Seafoam through the engine to combat a rattling at WOT issue. When I pulled #7, I noticed it wasn't as tight as the rest. I also noticed some oil in the area and on the threads of the plug. When I put the new plugs in, I made sure to put just a small amount of anti-seize on each one and tightened them down. The engine is running much better now, with only a hint of a rattle now and then (90K miles without a real tune-up will likely do that).

My question is, is it normal for there to be oil on the plugs? I'm beginning to wonder if the rattling is valve guides or stem seals, which would (in my mind) lead to the oil on the threads. I'm a total newbie when it comes to the internals of engines and how they SHOULD work, so bear with me.

Thanks!

-Mike
Old 04-24-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
I did some searching but I'd just like a little peace of mind. I changed the plugs a couple weekends back after running Seafoam through the engine to combat a rattling at WOT issue. When I pulled #7, I noticed it wasn't as tight as the rest. I also noticed some oil in the area and on the threads of the plug. When I put the new plugs in, I made sure to put just a small amount of anti-seize on each one and tightened them down. The engine is running much better now, with only a hint of a rattle now and then (90K miles without a real tune-up will likely do that).

My question is, is it normal for there to be oil on the plugs? I'm beginning to wonder if the rattling is valve guides or stem seals, which would (in my mind) lead to the oil on the threads. I'm a total newbie when it comes to the internals of engines and how they SHOULD work, so bear with me.

Thanks!

-Mike
Could be getting oil past your piston rings. Does the engine ever smoke?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Could be getting oil past your piston rings. Does the engine ever smoke?
I've never seen any smoke, white, blue or otherwise.

-Mike
Old 04-26-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

*bump*
Old 04-26-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
I've never seen any smoke, white, blue or otherwise.

-Mike
what about WOT?....b/c i too have oil on 2 of my plugs on my car and from what i have been told...sounds like ur rings are lettin some oil slip by...mine does and its a pain in the ***....except mine has 40k and was doing it at 26k :eek2 ....im not worried about it too much....as soon as i get it paid off im gonna rebuild the damn thing anyway
Old 04-26-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Not even at WOT. I'd rather NOT do a rebuild, but if I must, I'll start saving now.

-Mike